TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Ashurst AC invite! Didn't even consider it after the revelian games lol. Does anyone have any tips/advice for this? I’ve found written exercises difficult in the past so would be really grateful for any guidance! ☺️
Congratulations! 🥳

You get a limited amount of time (usually 30 minutes) to prepare for the case study, so it's really important to use a logical structure to present your thoughts. You can use whichever structure you like but generally try to get at least the following covered-
  • Summarise the case study- what is it talking about?
  • Go through the concerns you've identified
  • Provide possible solutions to address your concerns (do this point-by-point if you like)
You may get things wrong, which is alright because you're not supposed to know everything a practising solicitor does. The point is to acknowledge what you don't know, recover quickly and calmly, and work with the people interviewing you to resolve the issues raised in your discussion of the case study.

For the interview, ensure that you practice motivation and competency questions really well (you can find a lot of these here from the 2019 application cycle- https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/), and go over a few commercial topics that you have followed closely over the past few months so that you can talk about them if the need arises.

Lastly, try to enjoy the process! I know that an AC can be really high-pressure, but you have worked hard and deserve the opportunity to appreciate your efforts and perseverance ☺️

Wishing you the best!

Avni

11_v_2887

Standard Member
Aug 12, 2021
Is anyone still waiting to hear from W&C after VI? I did mine on the 18th but still haven't heard anything, and have seen a few people on this forum say they have gotten interviews. Do I interpret this as a rejection?

IzzyAn_na

Aug 13, 2020
Just got an invite to HSF Winter AC! However, the only available date is in 3 days from now - is that normal?
I had the offer on Thursday and Monday was my only free slot as well but I managed to grab a slot for the 9th when someone dropped out- otherwise it was such a quick turnaround to get a train and accommodation! (As well as preparing for the interview itself!)

Kareena

Dec 19, 2020
does signing up for virtual events held by the firm (that is open to everyone) and not attending put you on their black list?

I don't know if grad rec makes a note of people who join or don't?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
does signing up for virtual events held by the firm (that is open to everyone) and not attending put you on their black list?

I don't know if grad rec makes a note of people who join or don't?
No. They may make a note of it but they haven't really got the time to cross-reference this data when reviewing applications and even if they did, there is a risk of inaccuracy.

Reactions: Kareena

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Hi there. I'm always a bit stumped by the question of 'tell us about an achievement of importance to you' - I never quite know what they are looking for. Is it the impressiveness of the accolade or what you value as an achievement?? A mixture? Something else?

Does anyone have any examples they wouldn't mind sharing so I can get more of an idea, please?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.