TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM2021

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
Congrats! Best of luck. I'm still waiting to hear back :/ how did they let you know? And was it on a Saturday?
Super excited to have just been invited to interview for Travers winter vac scheme! If anyone has done it, I would be so grateful to hear your tips/any advice, the grad recruiter I spoke to on the phone didn't give away many details and I haven't received any emails yet with more info...!
Many Congratulations and all the best! May I ask you when did you apply? I am still waiting to hear back.

user254

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2020
    If you can still view your previous applications on a firm's website does this mean that *theoretically* said firm could also look back at these if you were to submit a new application?

The applications are from over a year ago now so was hoping the firm wouldn't have bothered holding on to the data!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you can still view your previous applications on a firm's website does this mean that *theoretically* said firm could also look back at these if you were to submit a new application?

The applications are from over a year ago now so was hoping the firm wouldn't have bothered holding on to the data!
    Yes - if you can view it, the firm could to. They are the ones storing the data.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi @George Maxwell

Thanks for your kind words!!! The email invite just said it will consist of a case study interview as well as a HR interview. I am most concerned about the case study but from the information I could find it seems it will be M&A related.
    Hi @Ziaskia,

You are absolutely welcome. Myself and the rest of the forum team are always here to help :).

So regarding case studies, make sure that you are hot on your commercial terms. Know how to use them and what they mean. This is a very good start. I would also highly recommend @Jacob Miller's case study guide (which can be found here). I used this when I was interviewing and found it very helpful.

Case study interviews are designed to be dynamic and, to some extent, will be a little unpredictable. So you will not go into it feeling 100% prepared (or at least, I never did!). However, I tended to focus on being enthusiastic and curious. I would also advise that you take your time. When you do answer think out loud, and take them through your thinking in a clear and logical way. The Partner(s) interviewing you will want to see your thought process and how you think.

Lastly, it sounds like you have interviewed before (just based on your lack of concern about the HR interview). However, if you have not (which is by no means a bad thing!) my best piece of advice is practice. Speak with a friend or family member and go through some of the classic questions (i.e., "Why you?", "Why commercial law?" etc.). Verbalising your ideas will mean that you answer more fluently in your interview.

Do let me know how it goes and, of course, please reach out if you have any further questions!

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I just took Reed Smith's SST for the second time this year and got exactly the same strengths. What is everyone getting?
    I just did it but haven’t got my result yet. What are you doing about the second test? If I try to click on the test link again, it says I have completed the test and won’t let me in any further. Did you get a response from GR?

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I just did it but haven’t got my result yet. What are you doing about the second test? If I try to click on the test link again, it says I have completed the test and won’t let me in any further. Did you get a response from GR?
    I did not email GR and did not try to do the second one because I got the email confirmation and the report immediately after (within seconds). Please let me know of the outcome once they respond but I am sure it is a mistake.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I did not email GR and did not try to do the second one because I got the email confirmation and the report immediately after (within seconds). Please let me know of the outcome once they respond but I am sure it is a mistake.
    I haven’t written to them. Sorry I thought it was you but it was someone else upthread.

One of my skills has changed! I got judgement, attention to detail and confidence this year. Last year, that last one was collaboration. What did you get?

I am very nervous that I have somehow become less collaborative!

Reactions: GXA123

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I haven’t written to them. Sorry I thought it was you but it was someone else upthread.

One of my skills has changed! I got judgement, attention to detail and confidence this year. Last year, that last one was collaboration. What did you get?
    This is really interesting! I got attention to detail, collaboration, and social adaptability.

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Hi! Does anyone know if Ashurst and White & Case are still giving out ACs?
    Hey! New member here, but a long time observer of TCLA!

I have some info on this, so I thought I'd help out. I have an interview with W&C for their upcoming WVS, and when I was booking my AC slot, I was given options until the end of next week. Also, even though I couldn't book past the end of next week, the system stated a candidate has to choose a slot before the 19th Nov, so that may be the cut off point?

Last edited:

jamesfp

Nov 7, 2021
    Hey! New member here, but a long time observer of TCLA!

I have some info on this, so I thought I'd help out. I have an interview with W&C for their upcoming WVS, and when I was booking my AC slot, I was given options until the end of next week. Also, even though I could book past the end of next week, the system stated a candidate has to choose a slot before the 19th Nov, so that may be the cut off point?

I completed my VI for White & Case last week, so thank you very much for that! Could I ask you, how long did it took to receive an AC invitation after your VI? many thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.