TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
11 days is not a long time especially if you have to complete any assessments after submitting an application.

If you haven’t heard 4 weeks before the scheme starts, then it is less likely (but not impossible) that you aren’t being taken forward.
Thank you!

Regarding the second point, is that because firms generally tend to contact unsuccessful candidates first and then reach out to successful ones closer to the vac scheme start date? Though I appreciate it varies firm by firm

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Am I missing something or does Mayer Brown only ask the following question on their application: 'Please use this section to tell us about any academic or non academic achievements and interests not covered elsewhere in this application.' I saw a reference to a cover letter in their FAQ so I am a little confused.

Reactions: GOI983

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Am I missing something or does Mayer Brown only ask the following question on their application: 'Please use this section to tell us about any academic or non academic achievements and interests not covered elsewhere in this application.' I saw a reference to a cover letter in their FAQ so I am a little confused.
I attended an event where the GR said that they were going to change their application process

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you!

Regarding the second point, is that because firms generally tend to contact unsuccessful candidates first and then reach out to successful ones closer to the vac scheme start date? Though I appreciate it varies firm by firm
No - the four weeks is just a bit of a deadline firms will often have to get the onboarding process complete and everything set up. It’s difficult to arrange things with less than 4 weeks notice.

Reactions: M777

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 15, 2021
Hi, has anyone completed Gateley's interactive assessment? If so, do you have any tips or is there anything that I can prepare for in advance? This is my first cycle and I've not done an assessment of this nature before.

Also, I assume this assessment is part of the initial stage as I only submitted my written application this morning.

Thanks!

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I’m not sure if that’s for qualified lawyers! I can’t find details of when their training contract applications open for this cycle 🤔 might be in the summer
    I think I remember in previous cycles that it opens quite late into the cycle!

Reactions: psr23

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Hi, has anyone completed Gateley's interactive assessment? If so, do you have any tips or is there anything that I can prepare for in advance? This is my first cycle and I've not done an assessment of this nature before.

Also, I assume this assessment is part of the initial stage as I only submitted my written application this morning.

Thanks!
    Did you apply for the summer vacation scheme?
    im confused bc on their website, it says they do not recruit on a rolling basis as all applications will be reviewed after the deadline

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 15, 2021
    Did you apply for the summer vacation scheme?
    im confused bc on their website, it says they do not recruit on a rolling basis as all applications will be reviewed after the deadline
    Yes I did, I submitted the application this morning then received the assessment invite about an hour ago. That's what's making me think that the assessment is automatically sent to everyone who submits as part of the initial application process. I'm not sure though!

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Problem Oops GIF

If anyone needs a laugh I full on (in the middle of providing other *very good (not) answers to Clyde and Co VI), trailed off groaning as I failed to answer a question correctly, rambled and then ran out of time. I also caught a look at myself and was bugg eyed and panicked 😂😂😂😂😂 oh well- PFO incoming. Lol

Last edited:

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    Problem Oops GIF

If anyone needs a laugh I full on (in the middle of proving other very good answers to Clyde and Co VI), trailed off and groaned as I failed to answer correctly, rambled and then ran out of time. I also caught a look at myself and was bugg eyed and panicked 😂😂😂😂😂 oh well- PFO incoming. Lol
    There's something incredibly unnatural about VIs. I'm a relatively confident speaker in person, but with VIs I basically melt. I'm beginning to think the trick to succeeding at them is to avoid overpreparing and try and forget you're recording yourself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.