TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM1998

Esteemed Member
Mar 26, 2021
Has anyone else who applied for EY been moved on to the shortlisting stage? My app is on stage 4 but it says this is just while they’re shortlisting candidates and they’ll update soon. But with the experience day happening next week it’s going to be a really fast turnaround.

Reactions: Miki3999 and Payal

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I'm currently applying to a firm with the question:

'Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements.'

This is second to a covering letter which needs to be written. Am I right in thinking that we generally shouldn't repeat anything on a covering letter which we have already described in our application? I'm struggling with how to start this question. I'd quite like to add my personal experience growing up as my biggest achievement is helping my brother push himself into Law school. However, I feel this more suits 'what is your greatest nonacademic achievement' which unfortunately isn't a question for this firm.

Thanks!

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Does anyone know how to answer this question "Please explain the reason for your preference" this is asked immediately after the office preference for a VS and is only 100 words.

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    For Weil vacation scheme application on the question why Weil is it okay to talk about pro bono work as they do count pro bono work as billable work. I know it is good not to talk about pro bono work in the why this firm question as it is not billable work for most firms.
    I agree with all said above- Weil does take a lot of pride in its pro bono work so I think it is a good one to mention as a supplementary point but not a main one. I also think talking about in a way that links to specifically why it interests you will probably be more impactful than just talking about the fact that it is fee earning work!

kat_

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2020
    Has anyone else who applied for EY been moved on to the shortlisting stage? My app is on stage 4 but it says this is just while they’re shortlisting candidates and they’ll update soon. But with the experience day happening next week it’s going to be a really fast turnaround.
    Mines the same 🙃

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019

Same here! I have trip abroad booked for next week so hopefully the AC will not actually be on Thursday haha

Reactions: JM1998

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Does anyone know how to answer this question "Please explain the reason for your preference" this is asked immediately after the office preference for a VS and is only 100 words.
    You can say, for example and depending on the city, that the firm's practice in X and Y in which you are interested is particularly strong in that city etc. If it's London, you can also say thay you chose London because it's one of the biggest financial centres in the world and the main hub for business in the UK which provides for a fast-paced working environment.

• Love
    Reactions: GXA123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.