TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I'm currently applying to a firm with the question:

'Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements.'

This is second to a covering letter which needs to be written. Am I right in thinking that we generally shouldn't repeat anything on a covering letter which we have already described in our application? I'm struggling with how to start this question. I'd quite like to add my personal experience growing up as my biggest achievement is helping my brother push himself into Law school. However, I feel this more suits 'what is your greatest nonacademic achievement' which unfortunately isn't a question for this firm.

Thanks!
You could mention the aspect with your brother in the cover letter - although I’d keep it super concise so it can focus on why the firm, why the opportunity, why you (you could put your achievement in the “why you”).

The extra curriculars can then be factually focusing on the things you have done outside of your studies and work experience both at college/school and university. Focus on what you did and the impact you had.

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
Is it important to demonstrate an interest in shipping law when interviewing at Stephenson Harwood? Worried that because I know nothing about it I won't be strong candidate as other people may be really passionate about their speciality area - advice please :)
Not at all - I got a VS and TC with Stephenson Harwood last cycle and didn't mention shipping once :)

RS31

Distinguished Member
Jan 23, 2021
Haven't heard anything from White & Case and Latham & Watkins after completing their VIs for the WVS (7 and 5 working days ago resp) so I am beginning to think it is a PFO

I remember somebody mentioned that the 19th was the last of the AC days at W&C?

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Haven't heard anything from White & Case and Latham & Watkins after completing their VIs for the WVS (7 and 5 working days ago resp) so I am beginning to think it is a PFO

I remember somebody mentioned that the 19th was the last of the AC days at W&C?

Hey,

When I was booking AC for W&C, the cut off date on the system was the 19th Nov. However, this could have been personal to me and/or easily changed to accommodate later applicants...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.