TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOI983

Esteemed Member
Sep 15, 2021
I wouldn't worry, this is my first cycle and I can safely say that the only thing I've learnt for certain is that you can never be sure what GR are actually looking for 😄
Yeah you’re right, but I think 3 below averages may cost me, despite the 2 averages. I also got attention to detail, social adaptability as my strengths, alongside worth ethic…

AspiringSolicitor99

Standard Member
  • Jan 3, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker I received two winter vacation scheme offers that conflict and have decided to take one over the other but wanted to seek your opinion on the matter. Regarding the other offer that I'm declining, I want to request to be deferred to the spring or summer runs of their vacation scheme. However, the spring one conflicts with another offer I've already accepted (although I am equally interested in this firm and the one I already accepted an offer with) and the summer run of the scheme will clash with other vacation schemes with firms I intend to apply to and am more interested in pursuing a vacation scheme with. Should I (a) request to be shifted to spring and potentially renege on either the firm I already accepted a vacation scheme with or this one, (b) request to be shifted to summer and potentially renege on this firm if I receive an offer from a firm I am more interested in, (c) just decline the offer or (d) something else entirely?

I understand that they may not be willing to defer my offer at all and will accept it if that is their decision, but am thinking about what I should do if they are willing to defer the offer. It's slightly annoying that so many firms run their vacation schemes on the same dates even though the summer break is so long!

Thanks a lot for your help!

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    I did the A&O SJT yesterday and just got the email saying I passed.

I don’t know why but I thought someone would review our scores manually. It looks like it’s all automatic as I don’t think grad recruitment work on a Sunday.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I did the A&O SJT yesterday and just got the email saying I passed.

I don’t know why but I thought someone would review our scores manually. It looks like it’s all automatic as I don’t think grad recruitment work on a Sunday.
    It is pretty standard for these things to be automated if they know what their benchmark should be.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: bibss

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    For Clifford Chance application as the word count is 600 words would 585 words be way below the word count or is that okay. I mean I read the LinkedIn post about the CC grad recruitment member and wanted to know if I should add a few more words or not.
    I use the same rule of thumb I would for uni essays - aim for at least ~90% of max word count. 585/600 should be fine

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For Clifford Chance application as the word count is 600 words would 585 words be way below the word count or is that okay. I mean I read the LinkedIn post about the CC grad recruitment member and wanted to know if I should add a few more words or not.
    That will be fine - they won’t notice the difference of 15 words.

The post will be more when people use significantly fewer words.

There is no point bulking it out just to create verbosity.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank-you! I'm coming up to a couple of weeks after interview now and am excited to hear back!

How do grad rec make a decision on who to invite onto VS - I'd be grateful for your insight!
    Put simply, it’s who performs the strongest in the assessments you complete. What specifically that performance is assessing will vary between firms, so is difficult for me to comment on. But generally it will be a mixture of transferable skills, motivations and personal characteristics.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.