TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    PFO from W&C! So weird as I got through to the VIs with the same app last year for a TC - onwards and upwards though ✨
    Sorry to hear this - Sometimes what can get you through one year may not be enough to get you through the following year. It can feel so random! I think it depends on the strength of the applicant pool each year which leads to situations like this. Onwards and upwards - good luck for the rest of your apps! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: AW_08 and ScrappyDoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for your reply jessica! I'll call them tomorrow to check - they did mention that I'd only been offered an AC if I transferred to the summer scheme so I am assuming I just wasn't good enough in comparison to those that were applying for direct training contracts and therefore not offered an AC in relation to that. It's frustrating as I could have taken the summer vs AC and then told them about my clashing exams had I been successful, in which case, I feel like they may have been more lenient in considering me for direct TC?
    Ok - if they made it clear the AC was only for the VS then it might not be an error and as you have said, slightly different benchmarks/requirement have been applied. No harm in checking though.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    PFO from W&C! So weird as I got through to the VIs with the same app last year for a TC - onwards and upwards though ✨
    I’m sorry to hear this!

Has anyone applied to a firm for the second consecutive year and got any further than in the previous year? Because I’m beginning to develop a theory 🤔

• 🤝
    Reactions: ScrappyDoo

lila122

Star Member
    Jul 29, 2021
    Hi, I keep receiving rejections post interview and I am really trying not to lose hope. Rejection post interview hits a lot harder than rejection post online application form. I'm waiting for my feedback, but I am thinking about my approach during interviews, and I would really appreciate some advice.

I have read not to be casual, but to be chatty and show personality. I have tried to show personality, but I am worried that I don't come across serious enough as my personality is naturally bubbly and smiley (not fake, but naturally), and I'm not sure whether to tone it down and talk with less emotion in my voice to be more business like?

Sorry I just feel clueless at this point. Probably overanalysing but curious what sort of tone people go for in their interviews

I also always feel nervous and I think its definitely obvious I'm slightly nervous, but I don't know HOW to not be?!! Do law firms prefer people who just have no nerves? Not sure how to tackle this if that is the case

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’m sorry to hear this!

Has anyone applied to a firm for the second consecutive year and got any further than in the previous year? Because I’m beginning to develop a theory 🤔
    I know enough people who have done this.

The key is showing a development in your application in the period between your applications. If your application is near enough the same, the view is if you were unsuccessful last time, then there is less rationale to bring you through further than last time, as the outcome is most likely going to be the same if your application is the same.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are there people who keep going for several consecutive cycles and never make it? Wondering if I’m deluding myself by pressing on
    I think many just try different types of firms and eventually get the right match. But yes, I have seen plenty of people not make it into law. Interestingly many of them seem to have highly successful careers in other industries/sectors. Law isn’t the be all and end all.

But there are plenty of people who persevere and do make it - sometimes after many cycles/attempts.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi, I keep receiving rejections post interview and I am really trying not to lose hope. Rejection post interview hits a lot harder than rejection post online application form. I'm waiting for my feedback, but I am thinking about my approach during interviews, and I would really appreciate some advice.

I have read not to be casual, but to be chatty and show personality. I have tried to show personality, but I am worried that I don't come across serious enough as my personality is naturally bubbly and smiley (not fake, but naturally), and I'm not sure whether to tone it down and talk with less emotion in my voice to be more business like?

Sorry I just feel clueless at this point. Probably overanalysing but curious what sort of tone people go for in their interviews

I also always feel nervous and I think its definitely obvious I'm slightly nervous, but I don't know HOW to not be?!! Do law firms prefer people who just have no nerves? Not sure how to tackle this if that is the case

I am someone who finds it really hard to sit still with a straight face in most situations, and especially when I'm having a conversation with someone (the TCLA team will probably attest to this- I'm always laughing and joking around in our weekly meetings 😅) Probably because of my cultural background as well (I am Punjabi), being expressive about my emotions comes very naturally to me, and I definitely do not tone this down in life, and in interviews as well.

Your personality is a big part of who you are, and it's important that you let this shine through! I always say that while lawyers do serious work there is no obligation for us to always be 'serious' people- trust that you know how to amend your approach, depending on the situation you find yourself in.

The only tip I would like to give you is to evaluate whether you're speaking in an even tone. An issue that I had during practice interviews was that I'd speak too excitedly and not moderate my tone, which would confuse the interviewer about where I was laying an emphasis. While content and delivery are important, tone is the tool you use to convey context to the interviewer and bring your answer together, and it is often ignored and underestimated.

As for rejections- I completely understand what you mean. You put so much more of yourself out there when you take part in interviews so a rejection hits much harder. The only thing I can say is you're doing exceedingly well by posting here and evaluating how you can improve your applications. Securing interviews is no small feat- your achievements are impressive and worthy of recognition, whether they have a positive outcome or not. Learning from these disappointments and growing from them, as you are admirably trying to do, is the only way to move onwards and upwards.

We're all here for you if you need any help with your applications- you've got this 💪

h1

Esteemed Member
    Oct 12, 2020
    Applied for Bird & Bird Summer Vac Scheme on Oct 28 and haven't heard anything since. Is that expected/usual? I know some people have been moved to WG and Vid Interview recently.

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Is this CMS question - 'In your own words, explain one key strategy that CMS is implementing to become the leading relationship law firm' - new or was it on last year's application form?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.