TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Has anyone been to Skadden’s virtual open day before? Not sure what to expect - is it camera on, are there opportunities to network and ask questions etc. any insights would be appreciated!
    The best virtual open day I attended last year and I attended Reed Smith open day also.

Reactions: psr23

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Has anyone been to Skadden’s virtual open day before? Not sure what to expect - is it camera on, are there opportunities to network and ask questions etc. any insights would be appreciated!
    I've not specifically been to Skadden's but I would always advise to keep the camera on (whenever possible), look engaged and ask questions. I would caveat that by saying: I wouldn't ask questions just for the sake of it, try to ask stuff you genuinely want to find out about or something you want to follow-up on that you've researched.

Reactions: psr23

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I've not specifically been to Skadden's but I would always advise to keep the camera on, look engaged and ask questions. I would caveat that by saying: I wouldn't ask questions just for the sake of it, try to ask stuff you genuinely want to find out about or something you want to follow-up on that you've researched.
    For Skadden 1 we did not have audio or video by the way but I agree with this.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: psr23 and Kubed

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Not sure if this is the right thread but I was wondering if anyone has a structure they follow for open day applications? Should it similarly be structured like a cover letter? I never really know how to approach it compared to VS apps
    For open day applications, it's important to demonstrate your curiosity by elaborating on-
    1. what you're hoping to learn about a career in commercial law at the firm that you're applying to and
    2. how you know you may learn this through an open day
    For 1, talk about what sparked your interest in commercial law and the firm (something you read or watched, an event/webinar that you attended etc.) and what you're hoping to learn from the open day. This could be anything from how the firm is structured, its business strategy, its sector focuses and practice areas to how their training contract is structured and what their trainees do on a typical day at the firm.

For 2, bring in your research to show that you've taken the initiative to learn how you can enter into a career in law and make strong applications using the knowledge you gain at open days. For example, you can mention conversations you have had with the careers service at your uni or articles you read online and how they influenced you to apply for open days.

Lastly, word count permitting, do elaborate on your background and personal attributes and how you know that they make you a good fit for a career in commercial law. So if you say you're creative, ensure you mention how you've demonstrated this and how it will help you as a commercial lawyer (maybe in innovating, bringing in new initiatives?)

I hope this was helpful! Tagging my fellow community managers for their thoughts as well! @George Maxwell @James Carrabino
    I would agree with everything @AvniD has said here! I would only add that it is worth looking at what will be happening on the Open Day - for example, does it involve presentations on specific practice areas and is there a collaborative component? You can then talk about how you plan to leverage this to inform your applications to law firms going forward, in addition to possibly making a decision about training at that firm in future. Your enthusiasm and motivations will be more important than your legal work experience for an Open Day application, I should think.

fm97

• Feb 4, 2021
    Apologies if this has been covered by anyone- can't seem to find the answer so just going to ask the question now...

Still haven't heard anything from Ashurst re Winter Vac Scheme. Given that it's happening in 2 weeks' time, and it looks like they've been giving out offers, I'm not really expecting to now. I assume they have not managed to read my application (for the 2nd year). Thoughts on my requesting to withdraw my application so I can reapply to the Summer Vac Scheme instead? Has anyone done this/do you think there'll be issues as I've technically applied this cycle already?

Would love to hear anyone's opinion! Thanks :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Apologies if this has been covered by anyone- can't seem to find the answer so just going to ask the question now...

Still haven't heard anything from Ashurst re Winter Vac Scheme. Given that it's happening in 2 weeks' time, and it looks like they've been giving out offers, I'm not really expecting to now. I assume they have not managed to read my application (for the 2nd year). Thoughts on my requesting to withdraw my application so I can reapply to the Summer Vac Scheme instead? Has anyone done this/do you think there'll be issues as I've technically applied this cycle already?

Would love to hear anyone's opinion! Thanks :)
    You might be able to withdraw your application of your own accord if you log back into the system.

Reactions: fm97

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Currently applying to Travers and writing my cover letter (no word limit is scary for me as I tend to ramble/over egg it). Anyway, as part of a point about their practice areas, there’s is a partner and I admire their career so much- they currently work at the intersection of two of their main practice areas. Can you say you admire the career progression of a partner as it showcases the potential professional development that you could undertake? It really is quite a unique job/I haven’t seen it at another firm so I really do admire it. I’m just not sure how appropriate it is to mention someone you’ve never met in a cover letter/if it’s a weak point. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Reactions: James Carrabino

ELaw2021

Future Trainee
    Apr 27, 2021
    Reactions: Jaysen and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Currently applying to Travers and writing my cover letter (no word limit is scary for me as I tend to ramble/over egg it). Anyway, as part of a point about their practice areas, there’s is a partner and I admire their career so much- they currently work at the intersection of two of their main practice areas. Can you say you admire the career progression of a partner as it showcases the potential professional development that you could undertake? It really is quite a unique job/I haven’t seen it at another firm so I really do admire it. I’m just not sure how appropriate it is to mention someone you’ve never met in a cover letter/if it’s a weak point. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
    I think it is fine to reference this, but it is important to focus on you rather than someone else, so keep this reference as brief as possible (eg sentence or two tops).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.