TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
How can I prepare for applying to paralegal jobs, I am doing the LPC, but how can I standout, my paralegal rejection emails are about lack of experience and qualifications.
Paralegal jobs are tough to get, some are just as competitive as TCs in terms of applicant numbers. I've personally only ever worked in house as a paralegal, both jobs secured pre-LPC and for large household recognised companies. Do you have any transferable skills to align to paralegal duties - ie time management, working to deadlines, working in teams etc. I always highlighted those in applications and have had success, but to caveat that I have also had a number of rejections on the same basis. for each application that I reached interview there were 30 that I never even heard back from the initial application. It is a very competitive market!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How can I prepare for applying to paralegal jobs, I am doing the LPC, but how can I standout, my paralegal rejection emails are about lack of experience and qualifications.
I’d focus on contract or temp roles first. They can often be more flexible with requirements.

Also look out for roles that may match your unique skill set (eg industry specific, in-house paralegal roles, ones that require knowledge of a country/language).

Reactions: CC03

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I’d focus on contract or temp roles first. They can often be more flexible with requirements.

Also look out for roles that may match your unique skill set (eg industry specific, in-house paralegal roles, ones that require knowledge of a country/language).
    Paralegal jobs are tough to get, some are just as competitive as TCs in terms of applicant numbers. I've personally only ever worked in house as a paralegal, both jobs secured pre-LPC and for large household recognised companies. Do you have any transferable skills to align to paralegal duties - ie time management, working to deadlines, working in teams etc. I always highlighted those in applications and have had success, but to caveat that I have also had a number of rejections on the same basis. for each application that I reached interview there were 30 that I never even heard back from the initial application. It is a very competitive market!
    the issue is that most apps don't ask for written questions or a cover letter, that is why I feel like I am struggling the most

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I think it is fine to reference this, but it is important to focus on you rather than someone else, so keep this reference as brief as possible (eg sentence or two tops).
    Thanks Jessica,

I’ve tweaked it a little and may just remove it entirely. I know I have stronger points! :)
    Will probably send it in for a review tbh, cover letters always trip me up!

S30

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2019
    No, how do I register with an agency?
    Here’s a list of legal recruiters you can register with:

https://www.ryderreid.com/registration/

Hope that helps! :)

Once registered, a recruiter would normally contact you within 2-3 days about your job preferences and what ideal role you are particularly looking for based on your CV attached.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020

Once registered, a recruiter would normally contact you within 2-3 days about your job preferences and what ideal role you are particularly looking for based on your CV attached.
    Thank you so muchhhhhhh

Reactions: S30

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Thank you so muchhhhhhh
    Also use LinkedIn to network with recruiters and make yourself available, I literally started as an insurance tech on a 18K salary and now I am a paralegal on a trainee salary. So, it is going to take time but exploit every single damn opportunity to get your career going.

CC03

Valued Member
    Nov 24, 2021

This is really helpful-thanks for sharing

Reactions: S30

CC03

Valued Member
    Nov 24, 2021
    Also use LinkedIn to network with recruiters and make yourself available, I literally started as an insurance tech on a 18K salary and now I am a paralegal on a trainee salary. So, it is going to take time but exploit every single damn opportunity to get your career going.
    Did you have any paralegal experience before? As I’m facing a similar issue. I’m a recent graduate (2021) and cannot seem to even get a 18k job. Super impressive to be sitting on a trainee salary

Reactions: GXA123

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Did you have any paralegal experience before? As I’m facing a similar issue. I’m a recent graduate (2021) and cannot seem to even get a 18k job
    So, I am a bit privileged because I had two internships where I worked for free. I made a pact with my parents, I am coming back home for a while I have a bit of money saved..do you mind supporting me? So for 4 months I stayed home and did two legal internships. But in retrospective, this was a mistake because city firms do not care about foreign work and it took me 9 months to find my first ever long-term role. Literally noodles and chicken and endless applications. My first role was not a legal role, I recommend you to consider other industries too because you gain transferable skills. It has taken me 3 years to be where I am so be kind to yourself!

CC03

Valued Member
    Nov 24, 2021
    So, I am a bit privileged because I had two internships where I worked for free. I made a pact with my parents, I am coming back home for a while I have a bit of money saved..do you mind supporting me? So for 4 months I stayed home and did two legal internships. But in retrospective, this was a mistake because city firms do not care about foreign work and it took me 9 months to find my first ever long-term role. Literally noodles and chicken and endless applications. My first role was not a legal role, I recommend you to consider other industries too because you gain transferable skills. It has taken me 3 years to be where I am so be kind to yourself!
    Your story is so inspiring. I think the job market itself is so competitive let alone trying to get a training contract. I will take your advice on board :)

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Your story is so inspiring. I think the job market itself is so competitive let alone trying to get a training contract. I will take your advice on board :)
    Guys,

I repeat once again, My two closest friends were a tax advisor and a PT and they got a training contract! Yes you learn a lot by being a paralegal but that will not necessarily give you a TC. I am the perfect example..so just work!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.