TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samir_O

Legendary Member
Oct 5, 2021
Hi all - for DLA Piper's question "Which business news story has interested you the most in the last 12 months and why? (Maximum 1500 characters / approximately 250 words)", does anyone have any key tips for how to structure and approach this? do we have to link our answer back to the firm and does it have to be particularly relevant to their practice areas, or can it really just be anything? I didnt progress last year so would appreciate any guidance! Thanks alot

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all - for DLA Piper's question "Which business news story has interested you the most in the last 12 months and why? (Maximum 1500 characters / approximately 250 words)", does anyone have any key tips for how to structure and approach this? do we have to link our answer back to the firm and does it have to be particularly relevant to their practice areas, or can it really just be anything? I didnt progress last year so would appreciate any guidance! Thanks alot
You don’t have to link it to the firm in your answer, but I would choose something the firm would also be interested in. That doesn’t mean it has to be something directly they work on or a practice area strength - it could just be something that impacts their client base or even how they work as an organisation.

The key with these type of questions is picking something you are truly interested in and that you can talk about with confidence as if you do get an interview you might just be asked about it more at that stage.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    A few weeks ago, I was put on the reserve list for AS’s commercial awareness competition semi final. There were some spaces available and I competed to now be told that I have been put on the reserve list for the grand final! It seems like reserve lists and I are inseparable lol. Given what I thought was an awful performance, this outcome is actually quite a nice surprise if a little bitter sweet!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Can someone who has passed the app with the following question, please help:

'In your own words, explain one key strategy that CMS is implementing to become the leading relationship law firm'

I've done so many applications, but this question is like gibberish to me. I am aware that there are 6 key areas that the firm believes will support them to become 'the leading relationship law firm', but simply don't know how to start.

Any support is appreciated!
    They're probably looking for you to choose one of the 6 key areas they've identified and give a credible explanation of how/why this strategy will achieve that objective. Elements to discuss could include: how can the firm implement this/what does it really mean on the ground; how does this add value for clients; what problem does this solve or what need does it meet; how does this build off of the firm's existing strengths. You could bring up things the firm has already done in pursuit of whichever strategy you choose to discuss, but I'd probably try to attach that point to an appraisal of outcomes or next steps - so might depend on how much information is available.

These kind of 'law-as-business' commercial awareness questions can be a huge pain, as most applicants are, of course, outsiders to the business of law. If you have time it might be worth pulling together some ideas in the next few days then asking some questions at the legal cheek law fair next week to try and tease out more detail & sense check whether you're on the right track - alternately if CMS has any of its own virtual events coming up, but it seems like most firms have wound up, or are winding up, their event series.

MB17

Jun 12, 2020
    For some reason I had the Mayer Brown tests assigned twice on apply4law. When I started the first one, I completed both the VRT and SST. Am I supposed to do it twice? I emailed GR but they didn’t get back to me yet!

95602995-FDC9-4D5C-8BC5-F72D5A6982A4.jpeg

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    For some reason I had the Mayer Brown tests assigned twice on apply4law. When I started the first one, I completed both the VRT and SST. Am I supposed to do it twice? I emailed GR but they didn’t get back to me yet!

View attachment 3691
    No, of course you would not have to do the tests twice. The same issue happened to me when I received the Reed Smith SST. GR will have noticed this issue and will email you in due course. In the meantime, just complete one of the required tests and GR sort out the rest.

Reactions: MB17
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.