TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous28377

Dec 10, 2021
As I am currently applying to vacation schemes, I wanted to ask a question regarding my first-year grades. I’m currently in my third year.

My first-year grades were terrible. Overall I received a 2:2. My highest grade was 60 and lowest was 42. There are multiple reasons for this, Including some personal circumstances regarding my health.

Though, in my second year, my grades improved significantly. My overall grade was a high 2:1.

I just had a meeting with my personal tutor and he said that “If I’m applying to big city firms, I have to be realistic as they won’t take me because of my first-year grades”. I know full well that firms look at first grades and it could be a reason for a firm to reject me. But does that mean I shouldn’t apply to city firms like HSF? There are so many reasons as to why I want to become a city lawyer but it just feels like those 1st-year grades could hold me back.

I wanted to ask have people with low first-year grades but good 2nd and 3rd-year grades gone on to successfully join big city firms?

Thank you for your help.

• 🤝
Reactions: James Carrabino

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
As I am currently applying to vacation schemes, I wanted to ask a question regarding my first-year grades. I’m currently in my third year.

My first-year grades were terrible. Overall I received a 2:2. My highest grade was 60 and lowest was 42. There are multiple reasons for this, Including some personal circumstances regarding my health.

Though, in my second year, my grades improved significantly. My overall grade was a high 2:1.

I just had a meeting with my personal tutor and he said that “If I’m applying to big city firms, I have to be realistic as they won’t take me because of my first-year grades”. I know full well that firms look at first grades and it could be a reason for a firm to reject me. But does that mean I shouldn’t apply to city firms like HSF? There are so many reasons as to why I want to become a city lawyer but it just feels like those 1st-year grades could hold me back.

I wanted to ask have people with low first-year grades but good 2nd and 3rd-year grades gone on to successfully join big city firms?

Thank you for your help.
If you have extenuating circumstances, these will be taken into account with your first-year grades, especially if they are clearly a blip in an otherwise strong academic profile. You will need to claim the mitigating circumstances though, and ideally need your university to verify that they were aware of the circumstances.

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
Bit of a weird question, but how have law firms adapted to virtual vac schemes? I've heard some using a mixture of Teams and Forage... do you think it works?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Bit of a weird question, but how have law firms adapted to virtual vac schemes? I've heard some using a mixture of Teams and Forage... do you think it works?
Forage isn't really a vacation scheme as it is open to everyone (you don't need to apply or go through a recruitment process). It is just a virtual work experience simulation that can be completed at any time by anyone.

Vacation schemes (especially winter schemes now) are likely to run on either Teams or Zoom. They haven't really got much choice given the "work from home" rules set by the UK government now. It is not ideal, but it is better than the programme not running at all!

Reactions: Miki3999 and SCN

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021

Thank you for your help.
    I received relatively bad first year grades (59% overall) but in second year ended with 68%. I’ve got through to interviews and always passed the initial selection process. This is my first cycle but I’m assuming once you get to interview your grades are already approved as ‘good enough’. I also think it depends which modules you do in first year and your specific grades for those modules like contract law, equity, land etc. as those are the modules firms look out for.

SCN

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 20, 2020
    Forage isn't really a vacation scheme as it is open to everyone (you don't need to apply or go through a recruitment process). It is just a virtual work experience simulation that can be completed at any time by anyone.

Vacation schemes (especially winter schemes now) are likely to run on either Teams or Zoom. They haven't really got much choice given the "work from home" rules set by the UK government now. It is not ideal, but it is better than the programme not running at all!
    Thanks for your reply - sorry I should have made it clearer, I was referencing the firms that are using Forage to host their winter vac schemes and not the free internship simulation programmes on Forage. Sorry for the confusion!

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks for your reply - sorry I should have made it clearer, I was referencing the firms that are using Forage to host their winter vac schemes and not the free internship simulation programmes on Forage. Sorry for the confusion!
    I wasn't aware that was something Forage did. Sounds odd to use that when you could just use the firm's teleconference software like Zoom or Teams. To me that suggests it is more of a simulation rather than working in a team of solicitors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.