TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Now im genuinely curious about the 2023 intake! I’d like to apply for 2023 but I’ve never seen this option (I’m not going to do it now but I'm asking so that in the future I do not lose an opportunity again). Where should a look?

I’m sorry to hear that. May I ask you for which scheme you applied?
Most firms will not be recruiting for the 2023 intake this year, but occasionally space becomes available at certain firms and they advertise 2023 intake openings on their websites/job pages when that is the case!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
just got NRF wg test too! so thrilled lol even though its so early in the stages
It's a huge step just passing that initial screening :) The times that I did were limited and I knew that there was still a distance to go but it would always massively boost my confidence in my ability to navigate the process!

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
Mar 1, 2021
little bit sad - got to BM AC last year. after it they specifically told me how good my written application/skills were. Just got a rejection pre WG this year... I basically wrote a similar application but upgraded with new work experience/skills/etc -- how can they have loved my written app last year but disliked it so much this year that they didn't even get me to do a WG? despite it ultimately being a very similar but improved app?

rose0904

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 6, 2021
Is it likely that firms will have already filled ACs if they recruit on a rolling basis? E.g., if their applications close next week and they only have around 10 VS spots, are they likely to have filled all of these/all the ACs already?

mads_g

Star Member
Premium Member
Nov 20, 2021
HSF PFO did not meet the benchmark.

What is even is my life. Last year I did well in tests but my applications were bad. This year I feel like my applications are much better but I fail all tests.
Sorry to hear that! Out of interest, when did you complete the test? I just got an email to say my application is under review, but still haven’t had any confirmation or report about the test so still have no idea whether I met the benchmark or not 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: futuretraineecity

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
little bit sad - got to BM AC last year. after it they specifically told me how good my written application/skills were. Just got a rejection pre WG this year... I basically wrote a similar application but upgraded with new work experience/skills/etc -- how can they have loved my written app last year but disliked it so much this year that they didn't even get me to do a WG? despite it ultimately being a very similar but improved app?
I'm not sure about BM, but some firms have policies that if you've reached AC you either can't re-apply or you have to wait two years or you have to show significant improvement in application. Might be a reason why?

Reactions: James Carrabino

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
HSF test the SJT test and verbal reasoning test have correct answers so maybe you might have got answers wrong there but don't worry there will be other firms and I have had bad luck with HSF also.
Yeah, you are right, I must have had wrong answers.
I guess after attending 2 open days I thought I had a chance, anywayyyy onto the next one!
All the best in your other applications!!
Sorry to hear you were not successful. Do you mind me asking when you sat the test? I did mine almost a week ago and haven't got feedback yet?

I did the test on Thursday last week.
I guess no news is...good news.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I am very sorry to hear this. Is it possible that they have a policy of not considering applications from those who have reached AC stage previously? Otherwise, it could have been flagged that you applied before, at which point they recognised that you submitted a very similar application and were hoping that you would work more on it.

Also, it could be that a different recruiter read your application, or the same one read it and was just having a worse day this time around. It is a brutal process as there is just so much luck involved, but if you keep applying I know you will beat the odds!

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
Sorry to hear that! Out of interest, when did you complete the test? I just got an email to say my application is under review, but still haven’t had any confirmation or report about the test so still have no idea whether I met the benchmark or not 🤷‍♀️
'Under review' means that you met the benchmark and passed the test, I think?
(That's what it was like last year)

I received the report in my rejection e-mail, it said something along the lines of 'if you wish to generate feedback report...click here'.

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    I don't want to give any false hope so take this with a pinch of salt but I received an email saying my application was under review after having taken the test. I then received an email saying I met the benchmark shortly after so I think it's a good sign! :); I also never received a feedback report, it seems that some people did and some people didn't so I'm not quite sure of the process involved there.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Is it likely that firms will have already filled ACs if they recruit on a rolling basis? E.g., if their applications close next week and they only have around 10 VS spots, are they likely to have filled all of these/all the ACs already?
    I think it is very unlikely they have filled all their ACs prior to their application deadline. I could be wrong as I cannot speak for every firm, but most firms see over half of their apps come in within the last week before the deadline. It is possible that they will have to be more selective with whom they invite to AC at this point, but I think it is definitely worth applying if you like the firm.

Reactions: Dwight and rose0904

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
    Mar 1, 2021
    I'm not sure about BM, but some firms have policies that if you've reached AC you either can't re-apply or you have to wait two years or you have to show significant improvement in application. Might be a reason why?
    I am very sorry to hear this. Is it possible that they have a policy of not considering applications from those who have reached AC stage previously? Otherwise, it could have been flagged that you applied before, at which point they recognised that you submitted a very similar application and were hoping that you would work more on it.

Also, it could be that a different recruiter read your application, or the same one read it and was just having a worse day this time around. It is a brutal process as there is just so much luck involved, but if you keep applying I know you will beat the odds!
    thank you both for this I really appreciate it!

• 🤝
    Reactions: James Carrabino

mads_g

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 20, 2021
    'Under review' means that you met the benchmark and passed the test, I think?
    (That's what it was like last year)

I received the report in my rejection e-mail, it said something along the lines of 'if you wish to generate feedback report...click here'.
    I don't want to give any false hope so take this with a pinch of salt but I received an email saying my application was under review after having taken the test. I then received an email saying I met the benchmark shortly after so I think it's a good sign! :); I also never received a feedback report, it seems that some people did and some people didn't so I'm not quite sure of the process involved there.

Oh interesting - thank you for the insight. Won't get my hopes up too much though. The whole process is so cryptic so who knows what anything means!

Best of luck to both of you!

The Surviving Lawyer

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 15, 2021
    Been waiting since 21st November as well and no news just yet 🙃 From what I’ve read online, they are quite slow and really take their time
    Hi! I think it really depends on when you apply as well- I applied 10th Nov, passed SJT 12th Nov, AC invite a week later then a confirmation I had been successful a few days after that!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.