TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F99

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2021
Does anyone have any general tips for the L&W application questions? As a reminder, they are:

- Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer? (300 words)
- Why would you choose to train at Latham & Watkins over another firm? (300 words)
- Please give details of your extra-curricular activities, and any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility, or noteworthy achievements that will support your application. (300 words)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Are applicants for a vacation scheme or training contract generally expected to list all of their university modules in an application, even if they haven't sat exams for them yet? @Jessica Booker
You can include your modules you will sit for the year you have started, and just leave the grades TBC, but it’s not an issue if you don’t include them. It can just be interesting to include them (especially if your elective modules are aligned to the work the firm does).

Reactions: Haris

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Does anyone have any general tips for the L&W application questions? As a reminder, they are:

- Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer? (300 words)
- Why would you choose to train at Latham & Watkins over another firm? (300 words)
- Please give details of your extra-curricular activities, and any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility, or noteworthy achievements that will support your application. (300 words)
On the second one, there are two things that I think are very important to bear in mind. This Q is framed differently to q lot of other 'why this firm' Qs, both with its focus on training and with the comparative element.

So firstly, you're looking at specific features of training at Latham - seats, structure, exposure, etc.

Secondly, you're looking at what that training offers you that other firms don't. I'd take this in two steps. One is the broad differences between US & MC/SC firms - intake size, level of formal training, responsibility at junior level. Two, what makes training at Latham different from its most directly comparable peers? The standard comparisons here are Weil and Kirkland, though you could look at other PE-heavy firms like Ropes as well. Standout points on Latham are that its banking team is top-tier for both lender and sponsor work and juniors get experience on both sides of the table (cf. I think Kirkland(?) is all sponsor-side on leveraged finance); Latham is more present in VC/early stage PE than Weil and Kirkland, though you could possibly compare with a firm like Orrick on this point.

These are just a few examples, I'm sure there are plenty of others - the important thing is to flag up a couple of things that you consider significant, explain them credibly and, most importantly, articulate why they matter to you and why they would lead you to choose Latham over another firm.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Is it wrong to include a firm won an award in 2019 for a practice area? is that too far back?

thanks
It depends- are you using the award to justify your motivation to apply to the firm/train or practice in that area? You may want to consider mentioning something recent as well as the award in that case so that you're able to demonstrate that you've followed/researched the firm's progress.

F99

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2021
On the second one, there are two things that I think are very important to bear in mind. This Q is framed differently to q lot of other 'why this firm' Qs, both with its focus on training and with the comparative element.

So firstly, you're looking at specific features of training at Latham - seats, structure, exposure, etc.

Secondly, you're looking at what that training offers you that other firms don't. I'd take this in two steps. One is the broad differences between US & MC/SC firms - intake size, level of formal training, responsibility at junior level. Two, what makes training at Latham different from its most directly comparable peers? The standard comparisons here are Weil and Kirkland, though you could look at other PE-heavy firms like Ropes as well. Standout points on Latham are that its banking team is top-tier for both lender and sponsor work and juniors get experience on both sides of the table (cf. I think Kirkland(?) is all sponsor-side on leveraged finance); Latham is more present in VC/early stage PE than Weil and Kirkland, though you could possibly compare with a firm like Orrick on this point.

These are just a few examples, I'm sure there are plenty of others - the important thing is to flag up a couple of things that you consider significant, explain them credibly and, most importantly, articulate why they matter to you and why they would lead you to choose Latham over another firm.
Thank you, this is so helpful. It is often difficult to know where to start but this has provided a really useful structure! So I guess they are expecting you to actually name-drop other firms given the comparative element of the qu?

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    Got a Clyde & Co VI! Does anyone have any tips pls? any help is greatly appreciated x
    One thing I would say, and something a lot of us have found on here, is to allow yourself a fair bit of time to do it and do it when you're feeling energised i.e. maybe in the morning- there's a fair amount of info to process and there are three big motivational questions asked right at the end so make sure you can maintain the same level of enthusiasm throughout. Keep a tea or coffee nearby!

That aside, there's little you can prepare for apart from the classic: why clydes, why commercial law, those kind of things- make sure you answers are well researched as the qs are very specific to the firm.

Aside from the video bits the rest is a blend of situational judgement written and multiple choice questions. Best of luck! :)

• Love
    • 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and bananak

bananak

Sep 9, 2021
    One thing I would say, and something a lot of us have found on here, is to allow yourself a fair bit of time to do it and do it when you're feeling energised i.e. maybe in the morning- there's a fair amount of info to process and there are three big motivational questions asked right at the end so make sure you can maintain the same level of enthusiasm throughout. Keep a tea or coffee nearby!

That aside, there's little you can prepare for apart from the classic: why clydes, why commercial law, those kind of things- make sure you answers are well researched as the qs are very specific to the firm.

Aside from the video bits the rest is a blend of situational judgement written and multiple choice questions. Best of luck! :)
    Thank you so much!! xx

• 🤝
    Reactions: anon123456789

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Thank you, this is so helpful. It is often difficult to know where to start but this has provided a really useful structure! So I guess they are expecting you to actually name-drop other firms given the comparative element of the qu?
    I personally would probably *not* name drop other firms - it feels a bit shady calling it out that directly, and ultimately the focus is on Latham, not the other firms. I just namedroppped a few for demonstrative purposes because knowing what other firms do/don't offer is helpful to figure out what you can say about Latham to show you understand their USP.

This said, @Jessica Booker would be better placed to comment on how recruiters view explicit references to other firms in these kinds of comparative questions.

Reactions: AvniD and F99
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.