TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Anyone done the Baker McKenzie VI yet? How did it go? I’m suddenly terrified of hitting start.
@Veep9 Try to do something non-law/non-apps related in the run-up to the VI. If I was ever nervous before an interview, and this will sound silly but it always worked, I would put on some music and dance it out. There was something about providing a physical output for my internal stress that would help calm me down and approach the interview with focus.

Concentrating on three things will also help- look into the camera so you're not distracted by yourself on the screen, actively maintain an even tone while talking so you don't feel rushed and jot down points you want to mention on a piece of paper/sticky note so you can glance at it if you feel you're blanking.

You've got this 💪

Hope everyone has enjoyed the holidays! For those of you who have already submitted applications, what are some of your tips for not constantly refreshing your email/worrying/stressing over nothing?

I'm trying to just focus on my next applications and wait patiently but it's proving extremely difficult 😅
I think @c-lear and @machingkiubrian1234 have given you some fantastic advice 👏👏👏 The only thing I'd like to say is that it's absolutely normal to feel anxious/stressed about the outcome of your applications so don't be too hard on yourself to feel some other way- it'll just cause more unnecessary stress. Definitely try to manage it though- engage in your hobbies/interests, spend time with your family and friends and explore things you do/can do outside of being an aspiring solicitor. For me, one of these things was painting and I can promise you that although I channelled all the stress and anxiety I was feeling into littering my home with my amateur artwork (sorry mum and dad 😅), it also served as the best, most calming and unintentionally productive distraction.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For this application question - We’d love to know why you are motivated to pursue a career in a commercial law firm, in particular Squire Patton Boggs? (200 words)

Should I discuss why commercial law and why this firm both or just discuss why this firm as the word count is so low.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    For this application question - We’d love to know why you are motivated to pursue a career in a commercial law firm, in particular Squire Patton Boggs? (200 words)

Should I discuss why commercial law and why this firm both or just discuss why this firm as the word count is so low.
    I would go with why this firm because of the 'in particular' wording.

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

jo123

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 29, 2019
    What are your initial thoughts on it?
    I thought diversity would be a challenge after reading some recent articles.
    I also thought technology would be a challenge but I know the use of tech was a challenege for 2021 due to covid and wfh. But i'm not sure if it would still be relevant to talk about in 2022 😅

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I thought diversity would be a challenge after reading some recent articles.
    I also thought technology would be a challenge but I know the use of tech was a challenege for 2021 due to covid and wfh. But i'm not sure if it would still be relevant to talk about in 2022 😅
    What I'd recommend you to do is simply input 'challenges for law firms in 2022' on Google and go from there. Also, think of some of the biggest business news stories from last year- whether it was the boom in logistics and supply chain management or the stress faced by the retail, hospitality and aviation sectors. What opportunities and challenges did these create for law firms and their clients? How would they impact a firm's expansion strategy, revenue, practice areas that may face a dearth of work, changes that may need to be introduced to the firm's working culture etc.

Reactions: jo123

lm450

Dec 27, 2021
    For a 'Why are you applying to X firm?' question should we discuss why commercial law and why the firm, or stick to just why that firm? For context, there isn't anywhere else on the application form where I could include why commercial law. Thanks!

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    @Jessica Booker

Hi guys - I just have a couple of queries about the wording of questions on the Macfarlanes and Sidley Austin VS apps:

1. I presume being asked to talk about one's "extra-curricular interests" is aimed towards hobbies like enjoying computer programming in my spare time, being a member of a band, playing sport, etc - rather than extra-curricular activities which could not be easily described as interests (like being a member of a university pro bono committee)?

2. The Sidley Austin app gives candidates 250 words to talk about "what qualities make a successful lawyer" - do you reckon that candidates should link these qualities back to themselves, or back to the work that a lawyer would typically do (or would either suffice?)

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    For a 'Why are you applying to X firm?' question should we discuss why commercial law and why the firm, or stick to just why that firm? For context, there isn't anywhere else on the application form where I could include why commercial law. Thanks!
    Stick to why this firm- adding points about why commercial law will be irrelevant here.

Reactions: Rob93

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    @Jessica Booker

Hi guys - I just have a couple of queries about the wording of questions on the Macfarlanes and Sidley Austin VS apps:

1. I presume being asked to talk about one's "extra-curricular interests" is aimed towards hobbies like enjoying computer programming in my spare time, being a member of a band, playing sport, etc - rather than extra-curricular activities which could not be easily described as interests (like being a member of a university pro bono committee)?

2. The Sidley Austin app gives candidates 250 words to talk about "what qualities make a successful lawyer" - do you reckon that candidates should link these qualities back to themselves, or back to the work that a lawyer would typically do (or would either suffice?)
    Re: Sidley I would focus on justifying why those qualities make a successful lawyer, rather than relating them to yourself. If you can draft your work experience or something like that in a way which shows you have those qualities, that wouldn't hurt if you really want to get it in there somehow. I would also be prepared to discuss how you have developed and/or demonstrated those qualities at interview.

Reactions: AvniD

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    How should I answer 'Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?' on an application form?
    This cycle I’ve been utilising this section to talk about my decision to go into law as a career changer especially as I work in the Civil Service! I feel like it helps give a nice narrative that wouldn’t fit in a lot of applications!

M991

Distinguished Member
    Mar 14, 2020
    Hi! I am freaking out a bit as I have just realised that in one of my applications I used "practises" to refer to practices/practice areas. I am not a native English speaker, so I tend to be quite anxious about making any spelling or grammar mistakes and always double-check. I don't know how this happened... Is this a mistake that natives notice straightaway, or do I have any chance of having my application progressed to the next round?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.