TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    I remember someone here saying they passed the next stage with an app where they had mentioned another firm's name instead of the firm they were applying to lol, so I don't think it's a huge issue!

Proofreading tip: I always paste my answer into a text to speech website and play it to myself - that way I'm much more likely to pick up on errors :)

Me too! This is the one I use if anyone wants it: https://www.naturalreaders.com/index.html
    You can use the one on Microsoft Word but I find this one picks up on how my grammar reads much better. You can also change the voices/fonts which helps when your proofreading the same thing again and again.

I do run things through grammarly but I use it very sparingly as sometimes it gets things wrong, its good for picking up on areas where you could be more concise or have missed random apostrophes, stuff like that :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Happy New Year everyone! I hope everyone was able to take a break from applications and relax a little over the holidays.

Please find my first application pitfalls post of January here. I have also added it to the bottom of my main post at the top of the thread. My next update will be in two weeks as I have exams next week!

Please do reach out if you have any questions about any of the things I have raised. I hope that this is useful in advance of a busy application month :)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Happy New Year everyone! I hope everyone was able to take a break from applications and relax a little over the holidays.

Please find my first application pitfalls post of January here. I have also added it to the bottom of my main post at the top of the thread. My next update will be in two weeks as I have exams next week!

Please do reach out if you have any questions about any of the things I have raised. I hope that this is useful in advance of a busy application month :)
    Thank you very much for this had a read and it is really helpful.

• Love
    Reactions: James Carrabino

mome101

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 30, 2021
    NRF PFO post-WG. NGL I am extremely gutted. I have other AC's but NRF was my top choice firm😭😭 I thought that because I had passed CC's WG I would pass this. Goes to show that applications and everything is all hit and miss 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 ....I am very upset with myself.....

[Edit] This is my first proper application cycle...how did you all cope with being rejected from your top choice firms....because honestly I am feeling very deflated rn....
    Hi, though this is my first proper cycle, I've found some ways that have helped me to deal with rejection. First, look at the possible reasons that you may have been rejected. To do so, please be very very critical of your application. If there are things that you can point out, have even a little control over and the chance to improve them, then write those down. Next, write the reasons for your rejection that are not in your control. when you write those down, you will be able to rationalise that you are not at fault there. So now you have some space to be kind to yourself whilst simultaneously having the room to improve yourself. This has been helpful for me after my TC'24 rejection from CC but now I am optimistic.

Reactions: Commerciallaw

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    NRF PFO post-WG. NGL I am extremely gutted. I have other AC's but NRF was my top choice firm😭😭 I thought that because I had passed CC's WG I would pass this. Goes to show that applications and everything is all hit and miss 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 ....I am very upset with myself.....

[Edit] This is my first proper application cycle...how did you all cope with being rejected from your top choice firms....because honestly I am feeling very deflated rn....
    NRF PFO 🥺 this one stung
    @w.m @tc.la.vs I am so sorry to hear about your rejections- they can be so devastating. I would recommend you to take a break for a few days from anything application-related to fully process your thoughts and feelings. Tell yourself that the only thing you can do is give your best every time and then leave the variables, some in and many out of your control, that dictate the outcome of your application to do their work. Don't lose hope, you will get there- I 100% believe in you 💪
    Just finished Baker McKenzie's video interview.. the first video interview I've ever had, completely tripped up on my words although I got 70%-90% of the information across. With the last question I spoke too fast and stared at the camera like a deer in headlights:/ holding out some hope because I don't think the substance/information of my answers were too bad, it was just more of my nerves in the way. Any advice for someone who feels horrible after their first video interview?
    @am98 You're not alone! If you scroll up a few pages in this thread you'll find a bunch of people who posted about their VI 'horrors' and still made it (including me😅). It sounds like overall it went well for you! Try to detach yourself from the outcome- you gave it a good shot and that's the best one can hope to do, right? Wishing the best for you🤞

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.