TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAA_a

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 14, 2019
For Covington's question "If you could bring into force any law, what would that law be and why?" Is it better to be a piece of law in the UK context? Or can I talk about something that applies to another country?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If a VI doesn’t say “reviewed” yet and only says “completed” does this mean it definitely hasn’t been seen yet?
More than likely yes, although it could have been reviewed and the recruiter could have just reset it to completed for it to be reviewed again.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My laptop crashed around 2/3 of the way through the Emotify game for Ashurst. Once I restarted my laptop it said I had completed the game. Has anyone had a similar experience and is there anything I can do?
You should email the graduate recruitment team explaining the circumstances and ask them to reset the assessment.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For Covington's question "If you could bring into force any law, what would that law be and why?" Is it better to be a piece of law in the UK context? Or can I talk about something that applies to another country?
I’d try to focus on the U.K. if you can given that is where you are applying to and you’ll be working as an English/Welsh solicitor

Reactions: AAA_a

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I am working on this application question now also. Am thinking of discussing removing CVA for retailers. But would love to know other people's views on what people think of this question and my suggestion.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am working on this application question now also. Am thinking of discussing removing CVA for retailers. But would love to know other people's views on what people think of this question and my suggestion.
    My only challenge on this is how much is it a policy rather than a law.

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks! Can you think of a reason they would reset it to be reviewed again? It’s just I know people who did the VI on the same day as me have had theirs reviewed
    There is a range of reasons - none of them are anything to worry about, especially where it is highly unlikely to be the case.

It’s just likely yours hasn’t been reviewed yet. It may be allocated to someone who hasn’t had the opportunity for review. Or they just haven’t got to yours yet.

I really wouldn’t worry about this.

• Love
    Reactions: aspiringlawyer123_

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for this. Yes I agree with you.
    I think you can spin it as a law, because ultimately the mechanism is a legal one. But making a separate process for a particular industry is likely to be policy led rather than legal as you are ultimately setting an exception to the legal rule.

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.