TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Another cycle, another streak of rejections. People are getting ACs at HSF, HL, Links, S&M and I applied ages ago, which most likely means a bunch of PFOs for me. Have also already been rejected from 9 other firms. I have a CV with a vac at an MC, two insight schemes, citizens legal advice volunteering, full-time work in restaurants over the summer, internship at a famous think tank, leadership positions, a 1st class degree, speak 4 languages, but to no avail. I even get my apps reviewed and edited by friends who work at the firms I am applying to - several of them are shocked I am not even getting VIs/WGs/TIs. I definitely don't think I am entitled to a job, but it does feel a bit strange I don't at least get a chance to show what I am capable of in an interview. If they want to reject me at that stage - fine, at least then I know they rejected me after giving me a fair chance.

I see the alt-right trolls lurking in the Legal Cheek comments going on about reverse racism and preferences always being given to women and minorities for jobs. I don't believe in that bull at all, but as a white, working-class Northerner male it is sadly quite tempting to make your mind wander towards cynicism when your peers with far less impressive CVs and worse grades seem to breeze through the application process (many of them have shown me their apps, so I am not throwing wild assumptions here).
    First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your difficult circumstances during your MC vac scheme, that can't have been easy at all.

As others have said, I think you really need to focus on yourself and truly figure out where you might be going wrong. You clearly have a great CV and lots of strengths but quite frankly, looking good in paper is not enough. It's about how you 'sell' your story, your motivations and why you are right for the job.

Being completely honest, your post comes across as though you expect to get interviews because of your CV. This might be stopping you from actually putting in an holistically strong application. I wouldn't leave anything to chance - make sure you are demonstrating depth of research and genuine motivation for the career & each firm you are applying to. As others have said, I also wouldn't rely too heavily on other people's opinions of your applications - they are not recruiting and they don't really know what recruiters are looking for. I would also avoid comparing yourself to others - how do you know that others people's applications are objectively worse than yours in the eyes of the recruiter? Grades are no longer the most relevant factor in a lot of cases with some firms ditching minimum requirements.

Veering towards the idea that inclusive practices are somehow contributing towards your lack of success is also dangerous - your focus should be on how to make your applications stand out that little bit more than they already do so that you're able to progress.

sibs23

Legendary Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    I'm a bit worried about the answer I have drafted for this question for Osborne Clarke: Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your interest in the profession through your non-academic experiences. Max 300 words.

Does work experience count as non-academic experience? I'm starting to think that they might be looking for me to link in my extra-curriculars, but I think it would be a bit of a stretch for me to link most of them to my motivations for commercial law and the firm.

Law2021vacschemer

Valued Member
    Dec 7, 2021
    I'm a bit worried about the answer I have drafted for this question for Osborne Clarke: Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your interest in the profession through your non-academic experiences. Max 300 words.

Does work experience count as non-academic experience? I'm starting to think that they might be looking for me to link in my extra-curriculars, but I think it would be a bit of a stretch for me to link most of them to my motivations for commercial law and the firm.
    Hi I included work experiences in this question- I spoke about both legal and non-legal experiences to make it a bit more varied.

• Love
    Reactions: Rob93 and sibs23

Amanpreet Kaur

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Hi, I am preparing for an upcoming Jones Day interview and am currently researching the firm. I've seen that the firm is 'fully integrated' what does this mean in practice?

Also, if anyone has any interview insights could you please PM me, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hi, I am preparing for an upcoming Jones Day interview and am currently researching the firm. I've seen that the firm is 'fully integrated' what does this mean in practice?

Also, if anyone has any interview insights could you please PM me, it would be greatly appreciated!!
    What's the context? JD makes a great fanfare about 'one firm worldwide' and seamless work across offices, so it might be this. May also be to do with the integration of complementary practice areas, as I believe they also bill themselves as full service.

Amanpreet Kaur

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    What's the context? JD makes a great fanfare about 'one firm worldwide' and seamless work across offices, so it might be this. May also be to do with the integration of complementary practice areas, as I believe they also bill themselves as full service.
    It is under the 'one firm worldwide' ethos homepage, stating that the firm has no satellite office/headquarters as an integrated office

alice_28

Jan 2, 2022
    For the White & Case VS app, it just says "please provide a covering letter in the space below". Do you still set it out as a letter or is that not necessary? There doesn't seem to be a word limit either, does anyone know roughly how long it should be? Thanks!

Law2021vacschemer

Valued Member
    Dec 7, 2021
    For the White & Case VS app, it just says "please provide a covering letter in the space below". Do you still set it out as a letter or is that not necessary? There doesn't seem to be a word limit either, does anyone know roughly how long it should be? Thanks!
    Hi I formatted it like a normal cover letter (I did the first year scheme with them and they said to do this), and I think it should be no more than a page long ideally. Hope that helps :)

Reactions: Rob93 and alice_28

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Still no word from Linklaters? I haven't even got my Watson Glaser feedback yet. Normally they respond very promptly with the feedback and outcome email, but I've heard nothing and it's been almost a month since I sent off my application. Can anyone else relate? (I applied for the Spring VC btw)
    I’ve got my wg feedback (I emailed to request it), nothing back on status of the app though

WeRegretToInformYou

Star Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    Still no word from Linklaters? I haven't even got my Watson Glaser feedback yet. Normally they respond very promptly with the feedback and outcome email, but I've heard nothing and it's been almost a month since I sent off my application. Can anyone else relate? (I applied for the Spring VC btw)
    When I applied (and got to ac) last year they only sent WG report after I asked for it

Reactions: F99 and maw1887

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The problem is that I have literally done that. I have gotten my apps reviewed by so many people - as I said - who themselves have secured these roles. And I have applied every single piece of advice and corrected every single mistake found.I know the power of introspection and I really do have tried to use that to improve my application strength.
    I wouldn’t expect application reviews (even those done by me!) to pick up on someone’s development points. They pick up on areas to improve in an application, but not a candidate as a whole.

Reactions: M777

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As I explained above I have asked so many people to review my apps. I have applied every single piece of advice.

As for the vac scheme, my father passed away during the scheme, and I was unable to attend two days of it and was in no way mentally prepared to give it my best during the TC interview. My mistake was not explaining this to GR so I could get more leniency and understanding during the review process. I was in a massive existential crisis and made the not very level-headed decision that it was no point telling GR about this because I would rather stay in my home town and take care of my family and never consider a career in London again. Anyway, enough sob stories; my point is that whatever weakness that led to me not converting has nothing to do with my application pre-interview stage. For the application itself I have sought out so many resources and advice and I am not even reaching the interview stage.
    I am very sorry to hear about your father.

You may want to explain this as mitigating circumstances in future applications. Providing some context on that you had to take time away from the vacation scheme and couldn’t give it your full focus is legitimate, and therefore should you choose to do so, would be appropriate to include in any extra information/mitigating circumstances sections of applications.

Reactions: Jaysen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.