TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    What is a CAPP?
    CAPP is short for Cappfinity which is a platform law firms use to host their psychometric testing stages. They offer a bespoke product which means firms can essentially produce a very tailored trainee experience which helps them to test both your critical thinking skills as well as your suitability for the role.

They often produce a report afterwards that lists some of your key strengths and weaknesses the test has identified.
    Loads of firms use them- the ones I have done this year, for example, are Linklaters and Clyde and Co.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    NFTs, which seem to be moving into all sorts of sectors. And yes, as above, class actions, cryptocurrency, online money laundering...
    I would be careful with this and with crypto assets generally, for a few reasons.

One is that this is a very hot thing, and lots of people will be talking about it. Most of those people will not know what they are talking about (me, in 2018 applying to A&O talking about their ether bond), so that's not fatal if you really know your stuff. But!

Another is that for this question you'd want to have a sound understanding of what, for firms, operating in the space would actually look like, and how it would be profitable. To what extent, really, are the big corporate clients in this space? (Apart from like, the big Jan 21 meme stock corps dabbling because it boosts their meme value) Is the market, as it exists, already adequately serviced by firms' fintech offerings?

Third, you need to be able to credibly show the you understand the commercials of the asset class (if you can call it that). I'm not sure that *anyone* actually understands the commercials of NFTs beyond the axiomatic principles of Ape Together Strong and There Will Always Be A Greater Fool.

If you're gonna do NFTs - and this goes for more general commercial Qs too - it's good to be forward-looking. The work that law firms do related to crypto is often (though probably not exclusively) about using blockchain solutions to make traditional financial system functions easier - simplified clearing of cash or securities being a big one. Note though that these assets are in considerable measure already digital, and, like most digital assets, very fungible. The most frequently cited real-economy application of NFTs is real estate, with the potential to streamline land registration. There might be something there with other assets that are susceptible to specific performance (particularly physical art), so this is worth thinking about.

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: TinaT, angl_9, AvniD and 4 others

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I would be careful with this and with crypto assets generally, for a few reasons.

One is that this is a very hot thing, and lots of people will be talking about it. Most of those people will not know what they are talking about (me, in 2018 applying to A&O talking about their ether bond), so that's not fatal if you really know your stuff. But!

Another is that for this question you'd want to have a sound understanding of what, for firms, operating in the space would actually look like, and how it would be profitable. To what extent, really, are the big corporate clients in this space? (Apart from like, the big Jan 21 meme stock corps dabbling because it boosts their meme value) Is the market, as it exists, already adequately serviced by firms' fintech offerings?

Third, you need to be able to credibly show the you understand the commercials of the asset class (if you can call it that). I'm not sure that *anyone* actually understands the commercials of NFTs beyond the axiomatic principles of Ape Together Strong and There Will Always Be A Greater Fool.

If you're gonna do NFTs - and this goes for more general commercial Qs too - it's good to be forward-looking. The work that law firms do related to crypto is often (though probably not exclusively) about using blockchain solutions to make traditional financial system functions easier - simplified clearing of cash or securities being a big one. Note though that these assets are in measure already digital, and, like most digital assets, very fungible. The most frequently cited real-economy application of NFTs is real estate, with the potential to streamline land registration. There might be something there with other assets that are susceptible to specific performance (particularly physical art), so this is worth thinking about.
    @LEL This could give you some starting points https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/research/future-worlds-2050-project

While you don't want to get into a tangle, you were asking for suggestions rather than fully-fledged ideas, I believe.

PS: A TIMELY UPDATE: @Rob93 @LEL

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rob93

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    Hi everyone, would appreciate your thoughts on the following Q:

Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your interest in the profession through your non-academic experiences. (300 words)

Would the best approach for this be to say why OC, and then link this reason to why commercial law? Or can we answer these questions separately?

Thanks!

User84

Sep 2, 2021
    CAPP is short for Cappfinity which is a platform law firms use to host their psychometric testing stages. They offer a bespoke product which means firms can essentially produce a very tailored trainee experience which helps them to test both your critical thinking skills as well as your suitability for the role.

They often produce a report afterwards that lists some of your key strengths and weaknesses the test has identified.
    Loads of firms use them- the ones I have done this year, for example, are Linklaters and Clyde and Co.
    Thank you!

• 🤝
    Reactions: anon123456789
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.