TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
just got a rejection from my dream firm after doing a vac scheme. won't get feedback for weeks, and thought I did well on the scheme. its such a blow and I don't know how much longer I can be in this cycle of rejection. I tried so so hard on the vac scheme and thought that I had done well on the assessed stuff and built a rapport with the people working there. I know I'm not 'entitled' at all to be successful but it really stings because I thought the firm and I were a great fit for each other. not asking for sympathy or anything really -- just I suppose getting it off my chest.
I know exactly how you feel. I didn't get a TC offer after completing a vs with my dream firm last year. I did absolutely everything I could during the scheme. I worked my socks off, I got to know as many people at the firm as I could, I got on well with the other vac schemers, I performed well in the assessments (based on my feedback) and my interview seemed to go very well. But despite all of that, I didn't get an offer. I did not even get a proper reason why during my feedback call.

If I'm honest, it was incredibly hard to go through. All I can say is keep going and look after yourself because I know how painful it can be. Hopefully the feedback you receive will be helpful.

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
just got a rejection from my dream firm after doing a vac scheme. won't get feedback for weeks, and thought I did well on the scheme. its such a blow and I don't know how much longer I can be in this cycle of rejection. I tried so so hard on the vac scheme and thought that I had done well on the assessed stuff and built a rapport with the people working there. I know I'm not 'entitled' at all to be successful but it really stings because I thought the firm and I were a great fit for each other. not asking for sympathy or anything really -- just I suppose getting it off my chest.
Getting it off your chest is one of the best things you can do right now. Try to take a break from applications for as long as you need and rely on the support of your family, friends and the forum as well to process this. We've all been where you are and we're rooting for you to come out stronger🤞

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Getting it off your chest is one of the best things you can do right now. Try to take a break from applications for as long as you need and rely on the support of your family, friends and the forum as well to process this. We've all been where you are and we're rooting for you to come out stronger🤞
Love this @AvniD

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
What are peoples thoughts on how many reasons you should give on why X firm in an interview context? I decided on practising by giving 2 reasons, however my mentor said I should do 3. I am just conscious of talking for too long. What do you guys things?

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
I have to say, seeing you all deal with your PFOs lightheartedly and while supporting each other has me in awe of the forum 👏👏👏 You're all absolute stars!!!

I also deal with PFOs the old fashioned way - getting blackout drunk and watching drag race.

But seriously, you all are getting me through this cycle.

Last edited:

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
The process of preparing for ACs:

T-4 days: "Just need to know every single fact out there about the firm and I'm good to go... ugh this research is never ending... why have they worked on so many deals"
T-3 days: "I don't think my brain can hold all this information... ffs do I even want to be a lawyer"
T-2 days: *crippling imposter syndrome* "should I tell them my pet tortoise died so I can rearrange"
Day before: "... you know what, there's only so much they can ask me in a 40 minute interview, they probably won't ask me on that so I can skip it"
Morning of: *desperately hoping your brain will be able to magically concoct some bs if you get a difficult question*
Post AC: *critically and intensely analysing and overthinking every word you said and every action you made* "meh it is what it is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.