TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
What are peoples thoughts on how many reasons you should give on why X firm in an interview context? I decided on practising by giving 2 reasons, however my mentor said I should do 3. I am just conscious of talking for too long. What do you guys things?
If you have three things that are meaningful to you, prepare three things and focus on whatever is most important - if the two things you've prepared are really your key drivers, I personally wouldn't spend time on a throwaway point or something that is clearly an afterthought.

If the concern is running over, focus on getting comfortable delivering the key points succinctly and coherently without rushing through.

• 🏆
Reactions: User274302 and tt_xo

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
May ask something to the people interested in PE?
Recently there has been a massive shopping spree of British companies by US PE funds. Do US funds pay taxes on these acquisitions?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    May ask something to the people interested in PE?
    Recently there has been a massive shopping spree of British companies by US PE funds. Do US funds pay taxes on these acquisitions?
    Yes as far as I know PE firms are subject to the carried interest which is subject to CGT (Capital gains tax) so when invest in a company and you buy assets of that company and if you as a PE firm make a profit then you must pay CGT on the profit made.

Reactions: S87

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Yesterday I attended the Travers Smith event with Vantage.

A few things the graduate recruitment said.

1) Their application deadline is on Monday night so on 23:59 on the 11th. But she did say don't submit it on the night of the deadline as the system tends to be slower towards the deadline because of so many people applying.

2) She said that they received 2K applications for vacation scheme application last year and if you reached an interview or done an interview at Traves Smith before then you can't apply again.

3) She said when discussing a deal it can be from a few years ago as long as you have an interest in that deal.

4) Keep the cover letter no longer than 1 side of A4 paper.

M991

Distinguished Member
    Mar 14, 2020
    for people who were successful applying to White & Case is it better to write the extra curricular activities and events questions in bullet points or not?
    I got an interview with W&C last year, and I wrote my extracurricular activities & events in bullet points. For each activity/event, I added a sentence or two about what I learnt/what skills I gained.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Lol overthinking much, but now got the random stress that I'll never make it past an AC stage and run out of firms or something lol!
    Don't worry my advice is when you reach an assessment centre I suggest book in a mock interview with TCLA if you think you are not making it past assessment centres. If I reached an assessment centre I would do that.

Reactions: A92167!8
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.