TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacschemer2022

Standard Member
Jan 14, 2022
Congratss!

Does this mean all AC's are likely filled already for the spring VS and should assume a PFO?
Thank you so much! I’m not too sure but I know Links usually send out AC invitations in batches, so it can be quite normal for some people to receive invitations super early on and others later, but I couldn’t really say for certain. Got my fingers crossed for you though!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For shearman’s positions of responsibility in ‘university , school or elsewhere’ can we not talk about work experience? The majority of my positions of responsibility are from working, I graduated from high school 6 years ago (and university 2 years ago) & I didn’t really have any significant positions of responsibility that are worth talking about, however I have lots of work experience :/
If they are responsibilities you held outside of your contracted job (eg your involvement in a network group, fundraising for the employer’s charity, involvement in CSR initiatives), then you can include them. What you can’t include is any responsibilities you were ultimately employed to do!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Random question but if firms fill their spring VACs do they consider spring applicants for summer placements or are they dealt with completely separately?
Unfortunately there won’t be a set way firms deal with this, but many firms will offer you a different type of opportunity if they are impressed with you. That could be a later scheme or it could be a direct training contract recruitment process/offer.

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 5, 2020
Apologies if it is a bit of a dumb question but do firms review AC performances at a rolling basis and those who have their interviews scheduled towards the end at a disadvantage compared to those who attend first? I understand it might differ from firm to firm, however, just trying to get a general idea if people know anything about this! Thank you.

Reactions: Adrian_S and GXA123

Donuttime

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 17, 2021
Apologies if it is a bit of a dumb question but do firms review AC performances at a rolling basis and those who have their interviews scheduled towards the end at a disadvantage compared to those who attend first? I understand it might differ from firm to firm, however, just trying to get a general idea if people know anything about this! Thank you.
yes thats generally correct

Reactions: lawful_neutral216

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Different firms will have different approaches. However many firms make offers as they go so not to lose talent to competitors.

However, so later candidates are not disadvantaged, they will often either under offer or put candidates on hold until all interviews are conducted to ensure standards are consistent.

Reactions: lawful_neutral216

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    this may be a very dumb question - but why are law firms opening offices in Dublin. I read that it is because they can have access to EU markets ..... but they already have offices in Germany, France etc... Is it because it is an English speaking city in Europe or is there another reason?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    this may be a very dumb question - but why are law firms opening offices in Dublin. I read that it is because they can have access to EU markets ..... but they already have offices in Germany, France etc... Is it because it is an English speaking city in Europe or is there another reason?

That as well as it was easier to register as an Irish lawyer by some scheme the Irish Law Soc ran (I think it’s been discontinued). Ireland also is the lowest tax jurisdiction in the EU so home to many funds, corporates (like Facebook/Meta) etc

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    AFAIK, English qualified lawyers can easily cross qualify into Ireland much more than they can into other European countries.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I saw this with a US law firm today when research them I was surprised by this also.

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    That as well as it was easier to register as an Irish lawyer by some scheme the Irish Law Soc ran (I think it’s been discontinued). Ireland also is the lowest tax jurisdiction in the EU so home to many funds, corporates (like Facebook/Meta) etc
    AFAIK, English qualified lawyers can easily cross qualify into Ireland much more than they can into other European countries.

Thank you!! So am i correct to believe that because Ireland is easier for English lawyers to cross-qualify in and because Ireland is in the EU, that means firms will be able to advise on EU matters (e.g. EU competition). (this feels like a Watson Glaser statement lol) - does my conclusion follow? 😂 😂

• Haha
    Reactions: h1 and Donuttime
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.