TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    I am not sure when but from checking the forum from last year I would say end of Jan and early Feb! my report turned out quiet interesting. how about yours?
    Hope we hear good news soon! Same really- I've done this assessment two times before for non-law companies and most of the traits are quite consistent....then there will be 2-3 things that are just complete opposites plus some weird combinations (e.g., very inclined to be innovative, very okay with uncertainty, but also prefers consistency and familiarity?). Took me some time to stop worrying myself over this, but it helped knowing the firm won't turn someone down based on what the test says alone.

Law2021vacschemer

Valued Member
    Dec 7, 2021
    Hi @Law2021vacschemer,

I thought I would draw out a few articles I read on this recently. Seems like a lot of more traditional UK firms are increasingly dropping the Lockstep model in an effort to retain talent that may otherwise escape to US firms.

I hope these are helpful 🕺

1. Law.com (behind a paywall although I believe you get one free article per month!
    2. FT article
    Amazing thanks!

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Anyone got rejected from NRF post TI?

edit: sorry, that was a typo. I meant to ask if anyone had been rejected yet because I haven’t heard!
    I haven’t seen anyone on the forum get rejected yet but I know they were still interviewing so I imagine people will start hearing back this week! Fingers crossed it’s good news for you!! 🤞🏼

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    This may sound stupid but when writing a vacation scheme on a cover letter is it Vacation Scheme or vacation scheme. Also, does it matter if you don't or do write it with capitals I mean will that be spotted as a grammar error by graduate recruitment.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    If they let you and you want to, sure. As noted above, some don't re-interview - I think this is fairly common across MC and large-intake firms generally (small-intake firms tend to be more forgiving) but you'd have to dig up the particular firm's policy or email their grad rec.

In the interest of being strategic about time & effort, though, I'd have a think about why you didn't clear AC and whether that's really something you can remediate.

If it's because you were having an off day, or stumbled on commercial awareness or didn't have your motivations fully articulated, these things can be improved between now and next cycle. Go for it.

That said, it's also possible that you and the firm simply weren't the right fit - and there's nothing wrong with that. It could be that your working style or ambitions don't match with their training methods, or any of a number of 'cultural fit' mismatches. I don't know your personal circumstances - or which firm it was - so I won't speculate any further. But if the rejection post-AC comes down to this kind of alignment issue, I'd think about whether that's somewhere you really want to be. Would you actually get on in that environment, in that type of programme? If the answer to that is ultimately yes, then sure take another crack and have a think about how you can better show your alignment with the firm (without compromising yourself). If it's no, there are plenty of fish in the sea - you've made it through to AC at a MC firm, you've clearly got the chops to make it through plenty of other places.

Tl;dr - do you vibe with this firm?
    Like... there are a bunch of firms who are top-notch in the practice areas I really want to pursue, great comp, prestige, whatever, but I don't bother applying simply because I do not gel with their vibe.
    Just want to call this out publicly- fantastic post @Rob93!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.