Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Does anyone have ideas for good questions to ask at the end of an interview (or while attending an Open Day)? Usually I'd try to ask something specific to the firm/the interviewer, but I'd really love a list of general backup questions in case I get anxious and blank out. 😅
My best recommendation is to ask only those questions that you're genuinely interested in knowing the answers to or those questions that will help you understand the work of the firm/person you're speaking to better. In my experience, this not only helps you connect with the person you're speaking to because your question relates directly to something they've been talking about but also adds value to your own perspective because you've asked a question that stems from your curiosity. I'm including some posts here and here with other approaches to how you can ask questions as well!

Reactions: stone’sthrow

lw2000

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2021
Unless grad rec prefers it in bullet points, I would put them in paragraphs, possibly by grouping different achievements/activity by type. So one paragraph for sports, one for volunteering, one for any misc competitions etc. You don't need to go into what the activity taught you but detaching what you did and what awards you got for your efforts is important.

I'd be inclined to place music grades in achievements over activities because they represent the attainment of a level of skill/knowledge. What do you think?
Makes more sense than what I did 😂 I’ll bear it in mind for future applications though thank you so much!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys - I have an upcoming vac scheme. Any resources you'd recommend to become more familiar with work I'd come across during the scheme, or just any tips to get the TC? Thanks!
@Phoebe123451 congrats on your vac scheme! I hope it goes wonderfully for you- when is it?

Linking some posts below to help you get an idea of what work you'll encounter and how to be successful at the conversion interview-

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
On the work experience section of the Gowling application system, it says "Please list up to 3 pieces of work experience below that you consider to be most relevant in reverse chronological order, with the most recent first. " But I tried and I can add more than 3. Should I add more or stick to what they said?
I'd stick to three as there's a possibility they couldn't customise the application system to their requirement, which is why you can add more. if you're still unsure, you can email grad rec to clarify!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Trying to answer a question on why a transactional focused firm, but I'm not sure what the specifics are between transactional and other areas, if anyone has any resources on this I would be very grateful!
I'd recommend going through these posts here and here to get a better idea of the differences between these areas. Let me know if they help- that latter link is pretty detailed and was really helpful to me when I was making TC applications!

Harrison.jm

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2022
I have a telephone interview with Akin Gump. The only problem is that they proposed three dates and I'm only available on one of them, which is tomorrow... I communicated this straight away to the grad rec, but they are yet to get back to me. They don't appear to have a number which I can call to clarify. What should I do?

update: false alarm - just got an email.

Last edited:

CEPtk

Jul 30, 2022
I have a telephone interview with Akin Gump. The only problem is that they proposed three dates and I'm only available on one of them, which is tomorrow... I communicated this straight away to the grad rec, but they are yet to get back to me. They don't appear to have a number which I can call to clarify. What should I do?

update: false alarm - just got an email.
the same is happening to me I still dont have an update.

uv

Aug 30, 2022
If a deadline for a VI on Launchpad is 7 December 2022 (GMT+00:00). Does that mean the dealine is tonight or tomorrow night (the night between the 7th and the 8th)?

trainee25_

Nov 19, 2022
Hi! @Jessica Booker i was hoping for your insight. I attended a law firm event the other day and they spoke about a deal in the presentation that really reflected a lot of the reasons why I like the firm. Now I’m writing my application, do you think it’s ok to talk about that deal? I don’t want it to sound like I haven’t done my research, it is just that it was a particularly large and complex deal. It did also happen 2 years ago so I don’t know if that affects things as well.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Congrats! It is my first time applying and i had a question regarding the Role description bit in the Work Experience section. Would you suggest bullet form or a paragraph?
    I do tend to use short paragraphs, not bullet points. However, I wouldn't like to hold myself out as someone that can suggest what should/shouldn't be done.

@Jessica Booker may be able to provide clarity :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.