TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Yep, I think it’s a TI after the written app. Haven’t seen anyone mention a psychometric test just yet, but don’t quote me 😬
At the open day, one of the trainees said that her application process did not include a TI, so I think they might have used a psychometric test/another stage in previous years? But from attending 5-10ish events with them this year, can confirm it's app, TI, AC (interview, group exercise, written exercise), VS (which includes a research task and an interview).

• ℹ️
Reactions: BeGrateful.101 and Adrian_S

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Good morning people, can I ask your opinion on something?I am trying to answer this question “Please tell us about a recent commercial deal that has captured your interest. If you could represent a side, which would it be and why? I am struggling a bit with the approach to take. I chose a deal and my idea is to represent the purchaser for 3 reasons: financial, commercial and legal given all the licensing issues. Is this the right approach?
The first thing I'd recommend would be to pick a deal where you're already interested in one side more than the other, which it seems like you've done. I think you've taken the right approach but you need to flesh out why you're interested in picking this side more. What is about the licensing issues that interests you? Draw from your experiences- did you read something or work on something in this area that's sparking your interest in picking this side over the other?

And then for each reason, flesh out why the related issues make you keen to represent it. So if you say you want to represent XYZ side for commercial reasons, what specific issues or aspects makes representing this side appealing to you? Is this side's commercial bargaining power stronger? Are the legal issues more complex/less complex? Do their financials make a compelling argument for the price they've offered?

• ℹ️
Reactions: S87 and Uvaia

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
When giving video interview answers (ie. with a set time limit), is it better to talk about fewer things in more depth, or more things but briefly? eg. for why this firm, would one reason be enough if I really expanded on my answer? I'm finding that I can't fit more than one thing into tight time limits, while explaining my reasoning at what I feel is a deep enough level.
I think somewhere in the middle maybe best- picking 2 to 3 points and fleshing them out may be better than stating 5 without backing them up with your rationale. The video interview is a chance for the firm to see how you present your ideas and thoughts in short timeframes so making sure that you're focusing on this rather than feeling the pressure to play a numbers game is super important. I hope this helps!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi all,

When answering "why this firm?", is it okay to talk about how their values on diversity reflect yours or is that too generic? I feel like every law firm is trying to be more diverse so that answer could be applied to any law firm. Should my answer be more specific if thats the case? :)
Not generic at all! Personalising it by bringing in your values and why they matter to you is a great way to show a firm that you've not only researched them but also identify with their ethos.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
CMS AC invite after absolutely bottling their VI!!! I’m so surprised and shocked right now. I would really appreciate a PM or advice from anyone whose done their AC. I am really nervous about it.
Congratulations!

Just goes to show how sometimes what we perceive as a bad performance is actually stellar for someone else! I'm sure this must feel like such a reaffirmation of your skills and abilities 😊

I've never done a CMS AC but have resources that I can link that are geared towards AC prep more generally. Are there any aspects of the CMS AC that you're particularly concerned about?

Reactions: FutureLawyer99

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
The first thing I'd recommend would be to pick a deal where you're already interested in one side more than the other, which it seems like you've done. I think you've taken the right approach but you need to flesh out why you're interested in picking this side more. What is about the licensing issues that interests you? Draw from your experiences- did you read something or work on something in this area that's sparking your interest in picking this side over the other?

And then for each reason, flesh out why the related issues make you keen to represent it. So if you say you want to represent XYZ side for commercial reasons, what specific issues or aspects makes representing this side appealing to you? Is this side's commercial bargaining power stronger? Are the legal issues more complex/less complex? Do their financials make a compelling argument for the price they've offered?
Thank you very much for this

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi I’m just really after some advice.

I really feel at a loss with what I’m doing wrong with my applications. I’ve sent out about 7 applications, starting with winter vacation schemes a few months ago and now some summer, but I have been rejected from everything. I cannot get past the application stage. I passed the benchmark for HSF, and I got invited to Gowling’s online test, so I passed the written portion - just to then just get rejected by both with no indication as to why. I have a first-class from a Russel group, and although I’m non-law I secured a role in a law firm so I also have law experience. I was on committees and sports teams at university and have had transferable work experience for like 7 years now. I attended webinars from the firms and the open days that I can.
I’d hope I’d come across quite well on paper, but it seems not.

I know it’s a super long process but I’m worried I’m going to exhaust all my efforts this year and not even get out of the application stages. Does anyone have tips on getting out of the application stage or similar stories to share? Just feeling defeated after another rejection
I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with this.

To start with, I have to stress that writing applications and succeeding at law firm assessments more generally is a skill and the information and support one needs to develop this skill is not always accessible. Historically, this was confined to certain privileged groups of society and while this is increasing changing, it can be the case that even though you're very smart and from an RG university, you have to make special efforts to seek out the information and support you need to ace the TC application process.

So even though you are good on paper (and I'm certain otherwise as well!), it may just be the case that you need bridge certain gaps to fully understand how to nail applications, and this is very common. I myself was in this exact place three years ago and the following steps helped me get closer to securing a TC-
  • Getting my applications reviewed - the kind of language one needs to employ while writing applications is different from everyday writing and this is why it's super important to take professional support to learn this. My first few applications were professionally reviewed either by my uni careers service or TCLA and this was truly a game-changer for me. Any other applications I made subsequently were always reviewed by family/friends/other people I trusted with this to ensure that 1) my writing was being perceived how I intended 2) my tone was genuine 3) that my writing was pointed and convincing.
  • Practice - Watson Glaser tests, SJTs, VIs etc. are not things you do everyday and recognising this and then taking steps to ensure that you understand what these tests are asking is crucial. My best tips for WG test and VIs are linked here and here for you to have a look at should you wish.
  • Flesh out your motivations - I remember spending an entire week with a diary in hand retrospecting on all the experiences in my life (academic, professional, extracurricular and/or personal) that helped shape who I am and build my motivations for a career in commercial law. I believe this was the single most effective thing in making me instantly stand out because it showed self-awareness and clarity of thought, and I highly recommend undertaking this exercise (it doesn't have to be for a week! 😅) if you haven't already.
Wishing you the very best- you've got this! 💪

• Love
Reactions: Uvaia
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.