TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
Has anyone done Latham's online test? I haven't seen much info on it anywhere so I'm not sure if it's a crucial part e.g., like A&O's SJT, but did anyone have to prepare a lot?

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Hi, I had a question about justifying a few bad modules at university in an interview. I have an overall 1st class degree and all my recent grades are either 1st or high 2:1. However, I have one 2:2 module from last year that I am worried about and 2-3 2:2s modules from my first and second year.

I'm unsure about the justification I could give for these grades, especially the 2:2 from last year. Does anyone have any suggestions? What answers have people given in the past to this question?

[The real reason is that those modules are infamously low scoring so a majority of my class has also scored low - This answer doesn't seem sufficient to me though, and I can't mention my percentile in those modules because there is no system at my university to determine that. So I think I need to find a different reason]

Last edited:
    Reactions: cyberjaz1116

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Has anyone done Latham's online test? I haven't seen much info on it anywhere so I'm not sure if it's a crucial part e.g., like A&O's SJT, but did anyone have to prepare a lot?
    I have!! I am not sure if it’s an integral part of the app process.. Grad Rec said that they will be using it as an additional data point! You basically don’t have to prepare cuz it’s very similar to the Links SJT ( Latham does not have any critical reasoning tests )

BigMo

Dec 21, 2022
    I have!! I am not sure if it’s an integral part of the app process.. Grad Rec said that they will be using it as an additional data point! You basically don’t have to prepare cuz it’s very similar to the Links SJT ( Latham does not have any critical reasoning tests )
    Thank you. Do you know whether the Latham & Watkins test is similar to the SJT for Allen & Overy?

avyanka09

Standard Member
    Sep 23, 2022
    Anyone heard from Taylor Wessing post games assessment?
    The invitation email said 'You will be notified whether you have reached the assessment centre stage in January', so I'm not expecting anything yet - once January hits though will be v nervous!
    Heya! Could I ask when did you both apply and when did TW reach out about the game-based assessment? And, how did you both find the assessment? Would you be able to provide any tips to prepare for it please?

Hi, I had a question about justifying a few bad modules at university in an interview. I have an overall 1st class degree and all my recent grades are either 1st or high 2:1. However, I have one 2:2 module from last year that I am worried about and 2-3 2:2s modules from my first and second year.

I'm unsure about the justification I could give for these grades, especially the 2:2 from last year. Does anyone have any suggestions? What answers have people given in the past to this question?

[The real reason is that those modules are infamously low scoring so a majority of my class has also scored low - This answer doesn't seem sufficient to me though, and I can't mention my percentile in those modules because there is no system at my university to determine that. So I think I need to find a different reason]
    What firm was this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

By any chance is the infamously low-scoring module land law module in a certain Midlands university?

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    Heya! Could I ask when did you both apply and when did TW reach out about the game-based assessment? And, how did you both find the assessment? Would you be able to provide any tips to prepare for it please?
    I applied for the Cambridge VS on 26/11 and received games on 06/12. Don’t think there’s any prep you can really do for the assessment, just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to do it!

Reactions: avyanka09

sdsou

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 31, 2021
    Hello, is anyone else unable to access the Practice WG assessment for DLA Piper? Every time I try clicking on the link it says "This link has expired - insufficient credits remaining. Contact Technical support for more information". Should I get in touch with DLA Piper Grad Rec?

aishaalexandra

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 3, 2022
    I applied on 18th sep and got games assessment on the 2nd Nov! Assessment was just as was said above - impossible to prepare for, just be in a room where you won't be disturbed and are comfortable!

Last edited:
    Reactions: avyanka09
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.