TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

F99

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2021
To those who received an invitation to complete a WG from Baker, have you received the link with the actual assessment?
No I haven't. Do you know if the WG is automatic or do they screen applications first? And if you pass the WG do you automatically progress to VI or is there a further round of screening?

RB2022

Valued Member
Sep 28, 2022
Hello, is anyone else unable to access the Practice WG assessment for DLA Piper? Every time I try clicking on the link it says "This link has expired - insufficient credits remaining. Contact Technical support for more information". Should I get in touch with DLA Piper Grad Rec?
Yes, you should contact them

Reactions: sdsou

limejuice

Dec 11, 2021
Does anyone know how long it takes for Simmons to send over the online assessment? Heard it was automatic but I’ve submitted the app on 17th and still nothing. Contacted grad rec 2 days ago and no reply as well :(

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    NRF telephone interview invite! Never had a TI before so any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    Hey! Congratulations!
    My tips:
    - Fully answer every question. They don't ask follow ups so make sure you are happy with everything you've said.
    - Make a note of the questions they ask. Some questions have multiple parts and you need to have answered each part of the question.
    - Prepare an answer to "what considerations do you need to have when opening a new office and where should NRF open a new office". Every single Winter Vac Schemer was asked this either at TI or AC stage so have an answer.
    - They are judging you based on the following competencies: Commercial Awareness, intellectual curiosity, intellectual and analytical ability, interpersonal skills, and teamwork. Don't force examples of these, but try and weave them into your answers.

I was asked the following questions on my TI and my interview only took 15 minutes:
    - Why NRF?
    - Why law?
    - Why a vacation scheme and not a direct training contract?
    - How did you develop an interest in energy?
    - When has been a time you worked in a team to achieve the goal? What was the goal? How did you achieve it? What reflections do you have of this goal?
    (This was the question that was in so many parts I had to write it down)

Hope this helps!

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    No I haven't. Do you know if the WG is automatic or do they screen applications first? And if you pass the WG do you automatically progress to VI or is there a further round of screening?
    They screen applications first. Its the second stage. From the wording of the email I suspect that if you meet the benchmark for the WG you progress to the VI without further consideration.

Reactions: F99

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    I applied to a&o ten days ago for their summer vac scheme. it still says under review, 99% incoming pfo. oh well, at least I can revise for my upcoming exam in peace :)
    10 days is not a very long time-frame in the recruitment process, especially given the fact that most people apply in the last week before applications close. I wouldn't rule yourself out just yet! Fingers crossed 🤞

Reactions: law23, Adrian_S and kab

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, no it is not, my university isn't in the Midlands! I would love to know your insights into tackling questions like this though, what would a good response be?
    I tend to suggest framing it in a slightly more positive way (if you know this information anyway) of something like: "Despite my low grade in X module, I was in the top 20% of the cohort that academic year for that subject"

This highlights that you did well comparatively to others in your year without having to place blame as to why the grade might be lower.

Reactions: cyberjaz1116

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Nottingham?
    Season 3 Episode 21 GIF by Friends

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can I add upcoming work experience to the work experience section on VS apps?
    I personally wouldn’t put it in a work experience section (as you haven’t done it yet), plus some applications don’t allow you to put future dates in.

However I would definitely reference it somewhere in an application, especially if it has an extra information section. But could easily be referenced in a motivational question to (I look forward to my upcoming summer internship with Joe Bloggs LLP).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineecity
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.