TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

lllaaawww098

Valued Member
Oct 14, 2022
Hey, does anyone have any tips or info in general for the Latham & Watkins SJT test post-app for their London VS? I can't seem to find much and apparently there is a benchmark to pass in order for the application form to be reviewed at all

Reactions: 191919191

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Hey, does anyone have any tips or info in general for the Latham & Watkins SJT test post-app for their London VS? I can't seem to find much and apparently there is a benchmark to pass in order for the application form to be reviewed at all
I don’t think this is the case. Based on the email I got after completing the test they will review your performance in the assessment together with your application. It’s similar to Linklaters Capp assessment and I don’t think you can prepare for it!

Uvaia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2022
    I don’t think this is the case. Based on the email I got after completing the test they will review your performance in the assessment together with your application. It’s similar to Linklaters Capp assessment and I don’t think you can prepare for it!
    I attended Latham's last virtual event this year and they said that there was a benchmark. They didn't go into too much detail about it though.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: bibss and Adrian_S

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    From the Akin Gump VS application:
    "Describe a particularly challenging experience you have faced and the way you dealt with it. [250 words] "

Are they trying to assess resilience here, or moreso problem solving? I have two situations that come to mind - one is more personal, but demonstrates resiliency/persistence more, and the other one is professional, which I think demonstrates problem solving/resource management/dealing with time pressure. I am unsure of which might be more appropriate, but it would depend on what they are trying to assess?

Any ideas?

@Jessica Booker maybe?

Thank you all

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    From the Akin Gump VS application:
    "Describe a particularly challenging experience you have faced and the way you dealt with it. [250 words] "

Are they trying to assess resilience here, or moreso problem solving? I have two situations that come to mind - one is more personal, but demonstrates resiliency/persistence more, and the other one is professional, which I think demonstrates problem solving/resource management/dealing with time pressure. I am unsure of which might be more appropriate, but it would depend on what they are trying to assess?

Any ideas?

@Jessica Booker maybe?

Thank you all
    Either of these options work - I don't think they are looking for resilience or problem-solving individually, just more so that you have been put in challenging situations.

hiremeplz

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 20, 2022
    I went to an on campus event for one of my top firms back in November and really hit it off with some of the grad recruitment advisors/associates at the post-event cocktail evening. One of the grad recruitment reps in particular added me on linkedin and sent me a follow up message wishing me good luck with the application. I'm just about to submit my application now (it's non-rolling) and I was wondering if it would be inappropriate to message them again just letting them know that I have submitted?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I went to an on campus event for one of my top firms back in November and really hit it off with some of the grad recruitment advisors/associates at the post-event cocktail evening. One of the grad recruitment reps in particular added me on linkedin and sent me a follow up message wishing me good luck with the application. I'm just about to submit my application now (it's non-rolling) and I was wondering if it would be inappropriate to message them again just letting them know that I have submitted?
    No - it’s not inappropriate to do this.

jason_w1028

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 26, 2020
    When answering questions such as "Why law?" and "Why this firm?" during an interview, to what extent is it ok to use the same answers from the application form? Would repeating the same answers come across as too scripted/unoriginal?

sdsou

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 31, 2021
    Hello! I am new to this process of applying for vacation schemes, but attempting to give it a shot anyway. I am a bit confused about the questions below for Hogan Lovells.

Is the applicant expected to tailor each of these responses to the law firm and link it back to why one is applying to HL particularly / skills required for application? Or should it focus on the competencies and skills an applicant has derived from these experiences?

1672303451533.png

and

1672303479824.png

Thank you, and would greatly appreciate any guidance! @Jessica Booker @AvniD perhaps?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello! I am new to this process of applying for vacation schemes, but attempting to give it a shot anyway. I am a bit confused about the questions below for Hogan Lovells.

Is the applicant expected to tailor each of these responses to the law firm and link it back to why one is applying to HL particularly / skills required for application? Or should it focus on the competencies and skills an applicant has derived from these experiences?

View attachment 4617

and

View attachment 4618

Thank you, and would greatly appreciate any guidance! @Jessica Booker @AvniD perhaps?
    There is no need to link it back to the law firm. You just need to show evidence of the quality they are looking for in these questions.

Reactions: AvniD and sdsou

ScoUting

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jul 20, 2021
    Hi, so I am applying for a vacation scheme and they need references.

I am currently in full-time employment and would like to use my current line manager, but I don't want them to know I am applying for other jobs as this will risk my job should I be rejected from the vac scheme.

The firm I am applying to requires I tick that I have their permission and that I am happy for them to contact them freely. But I am not happy for them to be contacted freely - only on receiving an offer (which seems standard at other places).

I have other people from education and previous employment who would be OK to act as a reference but obviously would like to have a reference from my current employment.

Does anyone have any advice or in the same position?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, so I am applying for a vacation scheme and they need references.

I am currently in full-time employment and would like to use my current line manager, but I don't want them to know I am applying for other jobs as this will risk my job should I be rejected from the vac scheme.

The firm I am applying to requires I tick that I have their permission and that I am happy for them to contact them freely. But I am not happy for them to be contacted freely - only on receiving an offer (which seems standard at other places).

I have other people from education and previous employment who would be OK to act as a reference but obviously would like to have a reference from my current employment.

Does anyone have any advice or in the same position?
    References are typically not contacted until an offer is made. Even this firm could be collecting this information just for ease for the on-boarding processes rather than screening purposes.

If it is a tick box, just don't tick as this shows you do not want for them to be contacted freely.

Alternatively don't put them down as a reference. At the point you get an offer, you can always provide their details at that stage if needed.

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    As an EU citizen with pre-settled status, how should I answer this question on application forms: 'do you require permission to work in the UK'? I have applied for settled status a week ago, but I am still waiting for an outcome. Obviously, I do have permission to work for now but it's time-limited?? I can only put yes or no and there is no space to explain my circumstances. Any advice?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As an EU citizen with pre-settled status, how should I answer this question on application forms: 'do you require permission to work in the UK'? I have applied for settled status a week ago, but I am still waiting for an outcome. Obviously, I do have permission to work for now but it's time-limited?? I can only put yes or no and there is no space to explain my circumstances. Any advice?
    When does your pre-settled status run out and would this cover the entire period of the training contract?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.