TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    There really is nothing online about this Clyde & Co assessment. I guess its luck of the draw and just being confident with the video question answers.

Does anyone know if there are written answers within it as well?

Reactions: Ameliaa

bhbuygu

Valued Member
  • Dec 23, 2022
    How long do people usually spend on applications?

I usually spend around 1/2 days but I’ve been told that’s not enough time. Not quite sure as I’ve heard some people take a week perfecting an application.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022

I usually spend around 1/2 days but I’ve been told that’s not enough time. Not quite sure as I’ve heard some people take a week perfecting an application.
    Others might disagree with me but i would say 4-5 hours max. Obviously for apps like Kirkland its closer to 8-12 hours because there was quite a lot of unique questions.

When I first started apps I spent 2-3 days and I actually think you risk jeopardising the quality of your app by trying to be "too perfect". I have been much much much more successful only spending 4-5 hours.

However I would caveat that by saying over probably 15+ apps I have built up a bank of well written sentences and generic answers that can always be used for "why commercial law", "when were you resilient" "what is an achievement" of yours etc. The 4-5 hours mostly goes into research the firms practice areas and USPS for why this firm and a story that will impact the firm. But even then its good to have previous answers e.g if you are applying to 2 firms with huge PE practices I have found the answers are pretty interchangeable despite what people say about tailoring applications. This is just my experience but I hope it helps!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

There really isn't any set amount of time.

Some people can send a successful application off with little preparation. Others will spend many days pouring over an application.

I would do what is right for you and for that application to that specific firm.

Reactions: yasmars and bhbuygu

Fae2022

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 2, 2022
    Hi, I have received an email from Clyde & Co being invited to the video assessment. Has anybody completed this before and do you have any advice? I am super nervous and any information would be appreciate, thank you ☺️

bhbuygu

Valued Member
  • Dec 23, 2022
    Others might disagree with me but i would say 4-5 hours max. Obviously for apps like Kirkland its closer to 8-12 hours because there was quite a lot of unique questions.

When I first started apps I spent 2-3 days and I actually think you risk jeopardising the quality of your app by trying to be "too perfect". I have been much much much more successful only spending 4-5 hours.

However I would caveat that by saying over probably 15+ apps I have built up a bank of well written sentences and generic answers that can always be used for "why commercial law", "when were you resilient" "what is an achievement" of yours etc. The 4-5 hours mostly goes into research the firms practice areas and USPS for why this firm and a story that will impact the firm. But even then its good to have previous answers e.g if you are applying to 2 firms with huge PE practices I have found the answers are pretty interchangeable despite what people say about tailoring applications. This is just my experience but I hope it helps!

This is so useful, thank you! I was worried that I wasn’t putting in enough time into my applications.

I agree with you completely. I spent hours on my first application but with practice I’ve reduced that time massively. Thanks again :)

Reactions: CorpLawyer00

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022

I would second that and add give yourself time to review and edit. I need at least two drafts before I'm comfortable with any app.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    I would second that and add give yourself time to review and edit. I need at least two drafts before I'm comfortable with any app.
    yeah I actually think this is an important addition and something I missed. If the deadline allows I always make sure to go to the gym or sleep before I do a final read thru and submit. Helps me find way more errors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.