TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I think the focus could be on what your idea of being rewarded in your career is and why this is important to you rather than the term in which you expect these rewards to be given to you. So talking about how you would like to be appreciated for good work that you've done and the impact you believe this will have on you as a person and on your work may be a way to approach this without having to worry about the long term or the short term. Does this make sense?
    Yes, thank you!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

babylawyer

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2019
    does anyone know whether MoFo recruit on a rolling basis? or has navigated their application form? it seems you can't see the whole form from the outset and they dont have a word count for their application questions

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    quick q - i received HSF's online test on the 3rd Oct around 2 pm. The email says it will expire after 7 days at the same time. just to confirm; the link won't be available on 10th Oct after 2pm?

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    does anyone know whether MoFo recruit on a rolling basis? or has navigated their application form? it seems you can't see the whole form from the outset and they dont have a word count for their application questions
    It was the same last cycle with no word count and difficulty navigating the form. I think last year I put like 1 character answer just to move through the form to then copy and paste the q’s to word to work on my answers then started the form again when I was ready to submit.

Tonye

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2021
    Are there any future/current Shearman trainees here ? I’m having a hard time answering the first question and would like some guidance

Tonye

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2021
    Are there any future/current Shearman trainees here ? I’m having a hard time answering the first question and would like some guidance
    The first vac scheme question about what makes Shearman stand out I mean and I’m happy to hear from anyone. Sorry I was half asleep when I wrote this 😂

Donuttime

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2021
    The first vac scheme question about what makes Shearman stand out I mean and I’m happy to hear from anyone. Sorry I was half asleep when I wrote this 😂
    I’d recommend doing some research on the firm, looking at them and their competitors will really help you assess what differentiates Shearman. Maybe apply for their open day, they will have some information through that!

Samir_O

Legendary Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    Hi all - I applied to the W&C summer vac (2022) but was rejected at app stage. They ask to wait one recruitment cycle on their website so just checking that I am right in thinking I can apply to the Winter Vacation Scheme 2022 as this is the next recruitment cycle?

Last edited:

babylawyer

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2019
    It was the same last cycle with no word count and difficulty navigating the form. I think last year I put like 1 character answer just to move through the form to then copy and paste the q’s to word to work on my answers then started the form again when I was ready to submit.
    perf thanks so much - roughly how many words did you write for each question?

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    perf thanks so much - roughly how many words did you write for each question?
    Varied depending on the question - some answers were longer than others. I guess it is probably more what you say than the word count 500 words might be really concise for an answer with a lot of information but could equally be complete waffle if in that 500 words you’ve only said 1 or 2 things. So I don’t think me telling you how long my answers were is actually very helpful!

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    Hi guys,

Do firms tend to place much emphasis on whether students attend any events that they've appeared at? I ask because I'm interested in applying to the Shearman & Sterling winter vac scheme, but they haven't appeared at any of the virtual law fairs I've attended, and their nearest recruitment event takes place very late into the winter vac scheme application schedule, which isn't ideal, given that it's on a rolling basis. Do you think I'd be better placed to wait until I've attended the event, and then apply for the summer vac scheme?

Thanks in advance :)

@Jessica Booker

NB: actually, having looked a bit further, it seems probable that Shearman are non-rolling (although recent information is a bit thin on the ground) - does anyone know whether this is true?

Last edited:

LoveAspireLAW

Star Member
    Apr 10, 2021
    Hi guys,

Do firms tend to place much emphasis on whether students attend any events that they've appeared at? I ask because I'm interested in applying to the Shearman & Sterling winter vac scheme, but they haven't appeared at any of the virtual law fairs I've attended, and their nearest recruitment event takes place very late into the winter vac scheme application schedule, which isn't ideal, given that it's on a rolling basis. Do you think I'd be better placed to wait until I've attended the event, and then apply for the summer vac scheme?

@Jessica Booker

NB: actually, having looked a bit further, it seems probable that Shearman are non-rolling (although recent information is a bit thin on the ground) - does anyone know whether this is true?
    Yes, they are non-rolling. If you look at their FAQ's, it will say there too

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi guys,

@Jessica Booker

I have a somewhat similar question so I'd be really happy if @Jessica Booker can answer it. I attended about 30 events as part of my preparation for the last application cycle. These were events hosted by the firm and not open days (so not competitive at all, just required a basic registration). As I will be going into a full-time job soon, I believe I may not have the time to attend any of these online events now since they won’t match my schedule (I am based out of India).

Q1. Does this put me at a disadvantage?

Q2. Can I still use the older events as part of a single work experience entry even if I don't attend any new webinars/events? Or, should I try my best to attend the recent ones?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,

@Jessica Booker

No - they don’t tend to take notice of if you have given your details at an event or not (as that’s the only way they would know).

Attending events can help with your knowledge that can then be applied to applications, but ultimately there are many different ways in which you can you can obtain that knowledge - it doesn’t just come from these events.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.