TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2022
Yes, there are plenty of firms who don’t use such assessments and still have success with their recruitment process that is relevant to them. And that’s the thing about individual firms, they all have different aims/objectives with their recruitment processes. What works for one firm shouldn’t necessarily work for another.

I am sure Macfarlanes have reviewed their recruitment process to check its validity as much as a firm that uses video interviews. From what I also know about Macfarlanes, they also invest heavily in the time dedicated to graduate recruitment. I have found similar firms (established offices, fewer offices, good long term retention of lawyers) tend to do this because of the amount of people resource available to cover it.
This being said about Macfarlane's, do I email Macfarlane's with my work experience as I forgot fill it in with the form. It's retail experience an insight scheme and some open days.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This being said about Macfarlane's, do I email Macfarlane's with my work experience as I forgot fill it in with the form. It's retail experience an insight scheme and some open days.
You can, although there is a chance they won’t be able to add it to your application. No harm in asking though.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Not a fan of video interviews, any advice on how to get it over and done with?
Got one for Clyde and Co.
In your preparation time, write two-three bullets on a post it note, and stick it next to your camera. Then, if you get stuck, you can refer to that without looking away from the camera! Also, use the blur function if the platform has one, if the temptation to look at yourself on camera is too much (I always worry that I look silly, then start staring at my face on the video!).

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi all,

I am trying to understand the legal implications of the Russian sanctions, especially in relation to white-collar crimes. Do you guys have any suggestions?

D

daisy_yawn

Hi all,

I am trying to understand the legal implications of the Russian sanctions, especially in relation to white-collar crimes. Do you guys have any suggestions?
On my vac scheme associates in the corporate team were working on corporations doing Russian exits (think they worked on McDonald's arranging to remove their Russian branch, can't remember exactly), but not sure about white-collar crimes!

Reactions: S87

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Does anyone have any tips for Dentons VI? Is it only competency questions, or are their motivational and commercial awareness questions as well?

Also, any tips for their interactive assessment and how to prepare for it?

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    does anyone have any tips for answering a questions regarding 'What's an opportunity for us as a law firm'

I'm quite stuck :( any guidance would be appreciated. thanks!

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    does anyone have any tips for answering a questions regarding 'What's an opportunity for us as a law firm'

I'm quite stuck :( any guidance would be appreciated. thanks!
    I usually do a market development then what work this would provide to the law firm. It can be anything, a collapse of a particular industry that will bring a lot of potential restructuring work for example. Obviously relate it to the firm so if they have a huge real estate sector relate it to that.
    I guess opportunity doesn’t have to be a market decelopment so it could be AI, tech something like that too but I think first one is safer

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    Can anybody give any tips or advice on the Baker McKenzie video interview? This is the only firm I haven't had a PFO from post application/WG and I'd really hate to be disqualified at this stage. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    Can anybody give any tips or advice on the Baker McKenzie video interview? This is the only firm I haven't had a PFO from post application/WG and I'd really hate to be disqualified at this stage. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
    I wish I can help, but I am in the same boat, waiting for someone to give advice about this VI.

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    I usually do a market development then what work this would provide to the law firm. It can be anything, a collapse of a particular industry that will bring a lot of potential restructuring work for example. Obviously relate it to the firm so if they have a huge real estate sector relate it to that.

I guess opportunity doesn’t have to be a market decelopment so it could be AI, tech something like that too but I think first one is safer

Thank you

Reactions: CorpLawyer00
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.