Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it a good idea to mention specific deals and/or cases in the, 'Why X firm' type of questions (mentioning why these are significant and/or interesting, of course)? Or is this unwelcome as the firm already knows what it does!
Stating deals or cases is fine in the manner you are talking about if you are clearly tieing back to you/your motivations. They firm doesn't know about them!

Reactions: fleur269

lllaaawww098

Valued Member
Oct 14, 2022
Will also put on the other thread, but has anyone else not yet heard back from Freshfields re the direct Training Contract application ... I applied on November 17th and haven't heard anything ... lost hope!
I'm in your same position, but Freshfields is non-rolling and so they review all applications once the deadline is passed!

fleur269

Standard Member
Dec 4, 2022
@fleur269 I always say that firms won't know what to value until you tell them what you value. If you downplay your experiences from the get-go, they likely will too. You absolutely don't need any work experience to get what is generally meant to be your first job in this career.

What you must focus on instead is identifying the skills and traits that you have developed and demonstrated in the experience you have and expressing this to firms clearly, with an emphasis on creating a link with the competencies they are actively looking for. Your firm research and application answers have to be top-notch so ensure you prioritise this as well (I liked using these research grids when I was applying to organise my research). The same goes for your commercial awareness!

You absolutely can do this and if you feel you have any gaps in your knowledge, try reading law firm news and watching webinars with them online to try and bridge this.
@AvniD This is immensely helpful, thank you! I'll take a look at your blog.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

lllaaawww098

Valued Member
Oct 14, 2022
For anyone who has applied for the Spring scheme at Latham and Watkins and got a VI, when did you apply?
I have applied before Christmas and did the test on Dec 28th but still no update, should I expect PFO?

lawyering

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 29, 2020
If you look at the forum from last year, they seem to have sent in batches.
yeah that seemed to calm my anxiety, but the fact that they reopened apps hella concerned me? someone on here said earlier that they reopened today (can't confirm)...and i can see they are closing again tonight ...which makes me think it may be an error. we're probably better off holding tight😂

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
yeah that seemed to calm my anxiety, but the fact that they reopened apps hella concerned me? someone on here said earlier that they reopened today (can't confirm)...and i can see they are closing again tonight ...which makes me think it may be an error. we're probably better off holding tight😂
Hi where can you see they open apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.