TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicoAnon

Standard Member
Premium Member
Apr 2, 2022
Just got a Macfarlanes PFO too. So far, my PFOs are Macfarlanes, Simmons, Jones Day and Clifford Chance. Still waiting on 2Birds, Hogan Lovells, DLA and HSF - but considering they have all already sent out AC invites, I'm expecting PFOs from all of them.

At this stage, I feel like my chances are close to zero. I'm already 25 and did a vacation scheme last year at Travers Smith, but I wasn't successful at getting a TC (I only got the VS interview because of a disability interview scheme). I've done a lot at this point, I've attended almost a dozen Open Days and events, and I currently work as a paralegal. Clifford Chance did give me feedback, but the feedback I got was basically, 'your application is great, and we have no feedback; you'll do great in other applications, you were just beaten out by other applicants at CC.'

At what point do I just jump ship and give up? This is my third application cycle. I know so much about so many different law firms and have met so many people; I really just don't know what is going wrong.

Anyways sorry for the long-winded post. I feel like I just needed to vent. Two questions for everyone: Does/has anyone felt the same way? And what's the best way to get honest critiques on applications after a PFO?

Thanks all, and good work to everyone who has an offer :)

patternteddybear

Esteemed Member
Jan 4, 2023
Just got a Macfarlanes PFO too. So far, my PFOs are Macfarlanes, Simmons, Jones Day and Clifford Chance. Still waiting on 2Birds, Hogan Lovells, DLA and HSF - but considering they have all already sent out AC invites, I'm expecting PFOs from all of them.

At this stage, I feel like my chances are close to zero. I'm already 25 and did a vacation scheme last year at Travers Smith, but I wasn't successful at getting a TC (I only got the VS interview because of a disability interview scheme). I've done a lot at this point, I've attended almost a dozen Open Days and events, and I currently work as a paralegal. Clifford Chance did give me feedback, but the feedback I got was basically, 'your application is great, and we have no feedback; you'll do great in other applications, you were just beaten out by other applicants at CC.'

At what point do I just jump ship and give up? This is my third application cycle. I know so much about so many different law firms and have met so many people; I really just don't know what is going wrong.

Anyways sorry for the long-winded post. I feel like I just needed to vent. Two questions for everyone: Does/has anyone felt the same way? And what's the best way to get honest critiques on applications after a PFO?

i would say to never give up. and maybe follow up on your applications to the other firms?

hogan lovells haven’t sent out their assessment centre invites yet, and i am not too sure about HSF with their summer vacation scheme assessment centre invited. perhaps email them and just follow up on your application?

also, there are still LOADS of firms that have schemes open. i would look at “legal cheek, key deadlines,” as this outlines all of the key deadlines for vacation scheme and training contract applications. i would just go through the list and keep on applying. you have the vacation scheme experience with travers smith, so you clearly are capable. just keep pushing forwards. and everything in life happens for a reason and when you least expect it.

i wouldn’t give up, since there are still many applications open. you could even try and do some direct training contract applications. you have got this.

D

daisy_yawn

I'd recommend maybe using TCLA's app review services to see what the points of improvement are on your written applications! I was rejected from all but one of like 20 applications 2 years ago but this year I've spent much longer on each app and have had much more success. Sometimes it's really about spending a little more time on the details and maybe getting another set of eyes to review it objectively.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022

I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, re advice. However, just going to say that Bird&Bird are often quite slow with their turnaround, silence from HSF seems to mean that they're still considering you, and no one seems to know how DLA operate (i.e. no news is not necessarily bad news). Best of luck, and really do keep going!

D

Deleted member 24543

hey! just wanted to provide some comfort and let you know that i'm in this with you- i spent a week on my a&o app and got a pfo, got rejected by hogan lovells too even after visiting their offices both in the UK and my home country, so we're kinda in the same boat! hsf has been my dream firm since y1, and i can assure you that even with a fast-track to their summer vac scheme, i have not heard back (i think they've only sent out invites for spring ACs), so don't assume a PFO just yet (i also know that they've sent out mass rejections for summer so fingers crossed really)!

we've got this. let's keep holding onto hope, you never know what's to come!

legallyblonde500

Standard Member
Jan 14, 2023

I got a PFO from HSF on 04.01.23, after passing their test. So I'd assume you're still in the running for HSF if you haven't heard yet. And I haven't heard from Hogan Lovells yet after taking the WG last Wednesday if that's any help (I'm not aware they've sent out AC invites). Definitely don't give up and best of luck!

• 🏆
Reactions: Aminata and cyberjaz1116

F99

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2021
For those who got the ‘application on hold‘ email from CC saying they would let us know in w/c 6th Feb if we get an AC, what do you think are our actual chances? Has anyone heard of this happening in past years and people actually being invited to AC?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Nishath K

Star Member
Dec 28, 2022
I haven't done it yet (planning to do it on Tuesday night) but I've heard from other people that there are two questions. Not sure about timings.
Just two questions?! I was not expecting that. Irwin Mitchell had 6.
I don't know if this makes me more hopeful or afraid...
Thank you, and let me know how it goes!

• 🤝
Reactions: F99

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020

If you believe that commercial law is the career for you then don’t give up. I’m 27, this is my fourth app cycle, and this is first time I’ve made it past the app/test stage. You on the other hand, got a vac scheme in your second cycle and you are a paralegal so that just speaks to your potential.

To get honest critiques on apps- join a. Law access scheme that offer mentors e.g. GROW, STRIVE, aspiring solicitors etc. if this is the career you want, pls stick at it. Resilience is a key competency!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.