TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    thank you for this :) i reckon i will still give the VI a go because i don’t want to have the regret of not knowing what could have happened. do you have much time to prepare for answers? do you think it would be possible to research the answers during the interview?

as i was thinking that if it’s audio only, i could carefully craft some answers through research. i know it won’t be my best work as exams are currently my focus but it would definitely be a shame for me to miss out

genuinely shocked though that i have progressed to this stage, as it’s rolling basis and i applied on the deadline
    I can't remember much detail about it, but I think you could prepare for alot of eventualities in an hour or so and then read them off script or use prompts.

Go for it! It's a learning experience if nothing else :)

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    I applied just before Christmas and haven't gotten past the app stage :( Probably a pfo now
    Hoping good news for you 🤞🏼 the email said they received over 700 applications in the last week and they had already passed people on to the next stage because they screen on a rolling basis. Hopefully you just missed that last week group

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    lol Bird & bird cop out - why would you want to work there if they dont even review all the apps they get and waste a bunch of ppls time? I applied on the 29th and havent received anything yet, guess I can expect a PFO.
    Last application cycle I applied on the deadline for their TC and passed the application stage. Guessing this year they had an influx of applications at the same time because their Spring/Summer/TC deadline was so close together. Summer and TC were due the exact same day. So guess a lot of people who put effort into their apps sadly missed out :/

sdsou

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 31, 2021
    Hi everyone - quick question. I have studied law during my undergraduate degree abroad; this is a qualifying law degree in there but it is not a qualifying degree in the UK and I would have to do a GDL or the SQE.

When an application form asks "Is this a qualifying law degree?" should I select yes or no? I'm just confused because I have studied law, it's just not in the UK. @Jessica Booker would greatly appreciate your advice, thank you!

HLL

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 26, 2021
    Hi everyone - quick question. I have studied law during my undergraduate degree abroad; this is a qualifying law degree in there but it is not a qualifying degree in the UK and I would have to do a GDL or the SQE.

When an application form asks "Is this a qualifying law degree?" should I select yes or no? I'm just confused because I have studied law, it's just not in the UK.
    I did my LLB elsewhere too and I put no. I think by qualifying law degree they meant one under the old qualification rule before the SQE rolled out (ie a recognised law degree done in the UK)

Arran

Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021

When an application form asks "Is this a qualifying law degree?" should I select yes or no? I'm just confused because I have studied law, it's just not in the UK. @Jessica Booker would greatly appreciate your advice, thank you!
    Hi,

I studied my undergrad LLB in Scotland so I was in a similar position; I always said "no" to that question (because it was not a qualifying law degree in the jurisdiction that the firm was recruiting for/operating in). If there is space on the application form (i.e. a space for 'additional information' in the education section) you could always say for the sake of clarity/context that though it is not a qualifying law degree in England and Wales, it is in X jurisdiction.

Hi,

I studied my undergrad LLB in Scotland so I was in a similar position; I always said "no" to that question (because it was not a qualifying law degree in the jurisdiction that the firm was recruiting for/operating in). If there is space on the application form (i.e. a space for 'additional information' in the education section) you could always say for the sake of clarity/context that though it is not a qualifying law degree in England and Wales, it is in X jurisdiction.
    Isn’t this question usually optional to answer?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.