TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
This is a random 2am thought but those of you who are in their 2nd+ application cycle, what are you doing differently and what advice do you have for first-timers? Thanks :)
edit - for context, my first app cycle was 2019/20, making this cycle my fourth and the first cycle in which I’ve made it to AC stage (past app stage).
Another thing - I stopped having high hopes for one firm/having a dream firm. I identified two features in law firms that were absolute deal breakers for me and targeted firms that fit those features.

I thoroughly researched firms, (Started researching firms in July, ready for when apps opened in September). Also reached out to trainees at the firms I was applying to for answers to questions I couldn’t find through research. Increased my commercial awareness - Watson’s daily and Financial Times - focused on sectors I was genuinely interested in and focused on how stories affected stakeholders. Made very tailored applications (3 apps since September, made it to AC stage for two) as opposed to making as many as I could (max I would ever do is 8 in one cycle). Made sure I really understood what the role of a commercial solicitor entails through getting mentors in the industry - utilised city law access schemes, e.g., STRIVE!!! and Rare. Practised the Watson Glaser to death; made sure I was hitting over 90% constantly. Once I made it to AC stage, i reached out to future trainees who have recently completed the AC and interview experiences on the TCLA.

Last edited:

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
I thoroughly researched firms, (Started researching firms in July, ready for when apps opened in September). Also reached out to trainees at the firms I was applying to for answers to questions I couldn’t find through research. Increased my commercial awareness - Watson’s daily and Financial Times - focused on sectors I was genuinely interested in and focused on how stories affected stakeholders. Made very tailored applications (3 apps since September, made it to AC stage for two) as opposed to making as many as I could (max I would ever do is 8 in one cycle). Made sure I really understood what the role of a commercial solicitor entails through getting mentors in the industry - utilised city law access schemes, e.g., STRIVE!!! and Rare. Practised the Watson Glaser to death; made sure I was hitting over 90% constantly. Once I made it to AC stage, i reached out to future trainees who have recently completed the AC and interview experiences on the TCLA.
For WG, what test providers did you use to practice? Also, was it through test providers that you were consistently hitting 90%?

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
For WG, what test providers did you use to practice? Also, was it through test providers that you were consistently hitting 90%?
I used Assessment Day, and yes. I watched a video by idin sabahipour who explains it in detail. Also attended sessions at strive & rare which explained all 5 sections in detail. I made a cheat sheet which explained each section to my understanding and used this When I practised and when I took each test

Shi

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Anyone else heard nothing from Clyde post-VI for Spring VS? I did my VI on 10 Jan...
Called GR yesterday, and they said we should see an update today.

I think our PFOs are en route but really don't know why. I did my VI back in November, and at a law fair I was told that VIs are screened by third-party agencies, and everyone passes the benchmark will get an AC

I worked as an Intern for Clyde in their oversea-offices so I pretty much like the firm, but their recruitment process is really unclear and exhausting.

Sarah T

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 9, 2020
    Hi!

I just got an AC invite from TLT🥳 I’m just a bit confused though because the email they sent says the assessments on the day will only consist of an interview and a group exercise. I was expecting a written exercise and /or a presentation as well after speaking to previous trainees, and there is also no mention of a WG test? I find it weird that the AC lasts for over 4 hours with only two exercises- Can someone confirm whether this is correct? Thank you!
    Did you have to sit a test after you submitted the application?

Sarah T

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 9, 2020
    Has anyone done a written Case Study assessment as part of an AC? I've got one for Ashurst which is remote, which has details to log into their webpage, but also separate Zoom details.

I'm just a bit confused as to what Zoom is used for so was just wondering how things are structured?

Thanks!
    Hey can’t speak for Ashurst but I did a remote written exercise. They put you all in a zoom call so they can time you completing the exercise and deal with questions etc. Though you access the platform which has the written exercise on it and complete it on there and submit. They’ll probably upload it the day of the test.

if you are unsure though I would ask them.

Reactions: Wazflame
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.