TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAL007

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 19, 2022
Hi everyone, does anyone know what seats are being offering by Jones Day to its trainees? I would also be grateful if someone here who has done a interview at JD can provide tips and hints in preparing for a interview?

potentialsolicitor2b

Premium Member
  • Dec 11, 2022
    If you are a law student then yes - you should have applied for 2025 I think. SQE takes a year, so if you graduate next year, you cannot start until 2025. If you are non-law, then you should not have applied at all this cycle but in your final year instead, again for 2 years in advance so for 2026 :)
    Shouldn't this have been picked up by recruitment? I'm in the same boat - I've applied for 2024 a year too early and received a VI.

iratencies

Star Member
    Jan 30, 2022
    Do W&C send out all video interview invites on the same day? I thought they were responding to the early applicants (September/October) and I applied in January but I'm seeing a lot of people saying that they're giving up hope

• ℹ️
    Reactions: sxw517

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    Do W&C send out all video interview invites on the same day? I thought they were responding to the early applicants (September/October) and I applied in January but I'm seeing a lot of people saying that they're giving up hope
    It's probably a bit early to give up hope as W&C tend to hand out offers for spring and summer close to the date. Obviously, I'm not grad rec with a crystal ball so I'd say wait it out for the next 2 weeks or so. If you look at past threads in previous app cycles, you'll see people still getting VI invites in mid-Feb.

And also, take a mental health break over the weekend and do something fun! It's tough to wait things out and see other people get offers on TCLA and LinkedIn. Go outside, cycle, hike and plan fun things with friends during this stressful period :) You'd probably end up more productive, bang out some more apps and/or perform better on ACs because you're more relaxed overall.

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

mdoeslaw

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 9, 2023
    General thoughts on making a joke in an interview, if it comes naturally ofc? Or should I try and refrain?
    i think it depends on the vibe you have with ur interviewer and what you establish, i only say this cuz i remember reading somewhere on this forum how someone made a joke and the interviewer kind of jus deaded it 🤣 so maybe jus depends on the vibe?? but ofc if it comes naturally then go for it cuz ultimately a good interview would be most likely seen as a good convo to have w someone imo

• ℹ️
    Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

Charlie McCallum

Premium Member
  • Nov 21, 2020
    Also just going to jump in here and say you can’t prepare for the written exercise - I didn’t and I’ve reached AC. Just make sure you’re well awake when you sit it. Think logically, and leave a few mins at the end to proofread as presentation is also marked.
    Hi can I just check have you been invited for the Dechert AC for the spring VS? Cheers.

Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

Hi Jessica, I was hoping to get your thoughts on this.

I had an interview with a firm exactly one week ago and have not heard back. However other candidates have either progressed to an AC a day or two after or received PFO's post interview this week.

Would this suggest that I have been put on hold or on a waitlist and should I reach out to GR?
    It is hard to know what is going on here. I would wait until the mid-part of next week and potentially contact them to ask when you may hear back.

Autotunedbird

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 15, 2021
    It is hard to know what is going on here. I would wait until the mid-part of next week and potentially contact them to ask when you may hear back.
    What is a generally good rule of thumb to have on knowing when to contact graduate recruitment? I haven't heard back from CMS since the 24th of last year and when I contacted them on the 17th, they said they are still going through applications and will get back to me. I don't know whether I should send another email. I've also applied to 9 other firms across January and I've been thinking I should start following up (more so the early last month apps than the later ones).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.