TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law Student

Distinguished Member
Dec 20, 2022
I have just done a video interview and I had two minutes to answer the questions. But, I only answered some questions in a minute and a half as I felt I had said everything I needed to. Will this be viewed negatively?

Also, the webcam on my laptop isn't great and the background of my house isn't empty/white. Will this be a problem?

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
I have just done a video interview and I had two minutes to answer the questions. But, I only answered some questions in a minute and a half as I felt I had said everything I needed to. Will this be viewed negatively?

Also, the webcam on my laptop isn't great and the background of my house isn't empty/white. Will this be a problem?
was this for bird & bird?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I don’t think any of these points will be issues, especially those in the second paragraph. As long as your answers were thorough and covered the points you needed them to, it won’t matter if they were slightly shorter.

Reactions: Law Student

lils

Jan 25, 2023
Hi, has anyone done either the Kennedys or Bird & Bird VIs and has any tips?

I think I read somewhere that Kennedys doesn't give much prep time?

Thanks!
For Kennedys I think I read it was 15seconds to read the question and 1min30 to answer. I’m also looking for any tips on the VI if anyone has done it

Reactions: EH96

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    Hi guys - anyone know if Mayer Brown will send us a breakdown of our assessment results? Also, does anyone know how long we should expect to wait before receiving a response? Thanks

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    You've already done the test? How was it? Still preparing for the verbal reasoning section
    Hey! yeah just did it - wasn't too bad and I MUCH preferred it to WG (those always scare me); I was a bit worried about the timing aspect of it - while it isn't timed, your score is affected by how long you take to complete the assessment.

All the best!! Fingers crossed for us both lol

Reactions: Autotunedbird

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can anyone provide some advice on the approximate speaking time during an AC when asked questions like Why the firm, Why commercial law? I'm afraid that I will be rambling on for too long
    Anywhere around 2-4 minutes. I’d always aim for the lower end of that, but heard plenty of slightly longer answers that were ok due to their structure.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Can anyone provide some advice on the approximate speaking time during an AC when asked questions like Why the firm, Why commercial law? I'm afraid that I will be rambling on for too long
    I usually talk for about 3 minutes for these - recently ive actually said in a couple of interviews "please stop me if I go on too long" but idk if saying that is advisable tbh - althought I was offered schemes when I have said that in the interview

Reactions: HLL and Leilalaw000
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.