TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigglingsquid

Oct 30, 2021
I know this might have been answered already but for NRF TI is it competency based or why NRF/why law or a mix of both. Cheers
Yep it is mostly competency and motivational questions. But a friend of mine who did the TI last year said she got a question that asked her to mention a recent deal the firm was involved in and why it interested her

• 🤝
Reactions: lw2000

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Can I write about my passion for journalling as an answer to the question "Other than law, what is something you are passionate about?"
    I am passionate about it because: writing allows me to express my creativity; if I have a problem and write about it, it gives me clarity on the situation; and i love looking back at who I was years ago, and seeing how much I have improved.

There is another question asking about extra-curricular activities and interests so not sure whether it would be better for that. But I have already written about writing for the student newspaper and playing violin for that one. Just don't know where the line is drawn between an interest and passion.
    I personally think journalism and your reasons for liking it are fine. The only thing I'd caution against when writing your answer is writing it in such a way that basically leads the assessor to question your motivation for law. In other words, if you are so passionate about journalism, why not pursue that instead of law? I would, and I am not sure if I'm correct in this approach, try to link it back to my passion or aptitude for law. But then again, by the phrasing of the question, they already assume you are passionate about law , so they might not question your motivation for law if you did write about journalism.

I think you're overthinking the difference between interest and passion. Mainly the question is set so that the assessor can understand you a bit more as a person. Both questions are framed broadly to allow you to speak about anything. In my applications, I often talk about my passion for cooking and the skills I gained from it.

I would be grateful for your input @Jessica Booker

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I personally think journalism and your reasons for liking it are fine. The only thing I'd caution against when writing your answer is writing it in such a way that basically leads the assessor to question your motivation for law. In other words, if you are so passionate about journalism, why not pursue that instead of law? I would, and I am not sure if I'm correct in this approach, try to link it back to my passion or aptitude for law. But then again, by the phrasing of the question, they already assume you are passionate about law , so they might not question your motivation for law if you did write about journalism.

I think you're overthinking the difference between interest and passion. Mainly the question is set so that the assessor can understand you a bit more as a person. Both questions are framed broadly to allow you to speak about anything. In my applications, I often talk about my passion for cooking and the skills I gained from it.

Completely agree with this - it is fine to use, but be sure it does not suggest you could be interested in a career in journalism.

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021

I actually wrote "journalling" not "journalism" - i.e. writing/drawing in a journal every day!

Reactions: jetz42678

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    I actually wrote "journalling" not "journalism" - i.e. writing/drawing in a journal every day!
    Oh, sorry about that! I misunderstood! Yes, I think journalling is absolutely fine as well. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what you choose to write about for your passion – it is far more important in how you write about it (i.e., why you enjoy it, what are the skills you took away from your passion, what has it taught you, etc.). On that note, I think what you have is good.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Oh, sorry about that! I misunderstood! Yes, I think journalling is absolutely fine as well. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what you choose to write about for your passion – it is far more important in how you write about it (i.e., why you enjoy it, what are your skills did you take away from your passion, what has it taught you, etc.). On that note, I think what you have is good.
    Great! Thanks so much for your help :)

UnTCSilVousPlait

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    Has anyone contacted the Jones Day Grad Rec team regarding the answers on the application form turning into one huge paragraph – essentially line breaks and paragraph breaks just turning into spaces on the preview screen. All my responses have paragraph and line breaks but on the preview screen doesn't display any.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.