TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie_H_22

Standard Member
Jan 20, 2023
Is it really ill-advised to apply for direct training contracts, without any vacation schemes under your belt? I didn't apply for any vacation schemes because I wasn't happy with my CV (I'd just left a pretty dodgy company before Christmas, and I didn't want to have my 'currently doing' as 'seeking work'). I also couldn't find a proof reader before the deadlines....

Has anyone secured a TC without any vac schemes? I've done a handful of mini pupillages in commercial/chancery and mixed civil/property sets before, if that helps at all - though I know it's a very different day-to-day than a city lawyer.

Reactions: Autotunedbird

gabynosaure

Star Member
  • Aug 27, 2022
    Is it really ill-advised to apply for direct training contracts, without any vacation schemes under your belt? I didn't apply for any vacation schemes because I wasn't happy with my CV (I'd just left a pretty dodgy company before Christmas, and I didn't want to have my 'currently doing' as 'seeking work'). I also couldn't find a proof reader before the deadlines....

Has anyone secured a TC without any vac schemes? I've done a handful of mini pupillages in commercial/chancery and mixed civil/property sets before, if that helps at all - though I know it's a very different day-to-day than a city lawyer.
    I went to a few open days and although the majority of trainees there had done vacation schemes before, some had never done any and had only ever applied to direct TC so there's hope! (this was in big city law firms as well)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My international fellas do you guys know if arnold & porter sponsors work visas?

On their application form it says 'Please note that we are not able to act as a visa sponsor. Should your application be successful, you will be asked to provide proof of your visa eligibility to complete the duration of a Vacation Scheme or Training Contract.' so they don't sponsor visas for sure right?
    Yes, by the sounds of it they don't have a licence to apply for visas or their policy is not to use that licence for VS or TC roles.

Reactions: HLL

I have not secured a TC yet but obtained final round interviews/ACs with several big firms (including Hogan Lovells, BCLP and Stephenson Harwood etc.) before without any vacation scheme experience. I just leveraged my work experience and demonstrated I had transferrable skills, which was predominantly non-legal (as a career changer). The firms you apply to I would really recommend that you speak to individuals at the firm - I found that AS professional chat portal really helped with this - as I would put a comment about the firm's culture from what the AS professional said in my 'Why that firm' to show that I had tried to thoroughly research the firm. Obvs I'm still applying so I can't say that I've been successful through a direct TC but I have had more interviews from direct apps than VS apps.

Raynz

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 19, 2022

Some people cant take time off work to attend a 1 or 2 week VS and firms are aware of this hence why they have a direct TC route.
    VS are a great way to gain an internal perspective into the day-to-day life of a solicitor so if you can spare the time, its definitely recommended. The plus side is that you can apply your experience into your future applications and help you decide whether you enjoy the firm/work.

Momo

Esteemed Member
    Nov 21, 2022
    I have not secured a TC yet but obtained final round interviews/ACs with several big firms (including Hogan Lovells, BCLP and Stephenson Harwood etc.) before without any vacation scheme experience. I just leveraged my work experience and demonstrated I had transferrable skills, which was predominantly non-legal (as a career changer). The firms you apply to I would really recommend that you speak to individuals at the firm - I found that AS professional chat portal really helped with this - as I would put a comment about the firm's culture from what the AS professional said in my 'Why that firm' to show that I had tried to thoroughly research the firm. Obvs I'm still applying so I can't say that I've been successful through a direct TC but I have had more interviews from direct apps than VS apps.
    Hi, what is AS professional chat portal?

Reactions: Katie_H_22

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023

I wouldn't be discouraged to apply for direct TCs just because you don't have a VS - VS to TC is a common route but it doesn't make sense for everyone in their career trajectory. I think for some firms some kind of legal experience is very much preferred because it shows you've applied your interest in a practical setting and have developed relevant skills - I think yours definitely suffice, even though it isn't at a city firm it's still legal experience and definitely talk those up in your applications and maybe mention how they informed your decision to pursue commercial law instead.

Reactions: Katie_H_22

Momo

Esteemed Member
    Nov 21, 2022
    I wouldn't be discouraged to apply for direct TCs just because you don't have a VS - VS to TC is a common route but it doesn't make sense for everyone in their career trajectory. I think for some firms some kind of legal experience is very much preferred because it shows you've applied your interest in a practical setting and have developed relevant skills - I think yours definitely suffice, even though it isn't at a city firm it's still legal experience and definitely talk those up in your applications and maybe mention how they informed your decision to pursue commercial law instead.
    Are legal internships outside the UK considered to be sufficient legal experience? I did a month in a bank, a month for a mini-pupilage, 3 months at an international law firm and 4 months in-house.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.