Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have advice for interviews for the 'Why the firm' and 'Why law' questions? As these were questions within the application form itself, do we have to give different answers in interviews with grad rec?

@Jessica Booker Would love your advice on this. Thank you!
The answers do not need to be different, just more developed/in detail, or you can add more points.

Reactions: Hmm123

Marco Polo

Dec 2, 2022
Hey man,
May I ask, how did you answer their commercial question? I thought I did it quite well but got a PFO...
I'll post my answer here for others to see and maybe point out some issues here:
"What are three challenges that law firms face now and/or in the future and how is Ropes & Gray positioned to tackle them?
- staying on top of regulatory compliance and making sure that your clients do that as well: this is especially important in the context of financial law, where banks and financial institutions can face enormous consequences for not following the rules. The best example of that is the fine imposed by the FCA and the PRA on TSB for their IT outage in December. The issue isn't that clear-cut because of regulatory arbitrage - regulated bodies trying to move their activity outside of the sphere of control and the regulatory bodies trying to catch their activity within the boundaries of regulation. Compliance with risk management rules is very important but at the same time, we need to understand that banks are also businesses that try to maximise their profit. They do not have to intend to do something conventionally fraudulent but mere non-compliance with certain rules that can seem superficial is enough to attract liability. Lawyers should stay up-to-date with recent legal developments, have proper access to the newest technologies and at least basic knowledge of other legal systems their multinational clients might be conducting business in. Having strong relations with law firms in other countries, like Ropes & Gray does, is probably the best thing that could be done in that respect. Similarly, international secondments for your trainees can be very useful. Facilitating continuing education by providing training, and uploading podcasts (like the ones you upload on Spotify) also provides strong support.
- having the right and the newest technology: in the modern world, many legal problems are complex beyond our understanding and involve an interplay between at least a couple of industries. Especially important is to have an analytical approach to the businesses of your clients. R&G is very well prepared for this kind of future challenge as exemplified by the work your lawyers do like the recently published article by the title "A Cross-Border Look at the Future of Artificial Intelligence in Life Sciences" in the Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal and the launch of the R&G Insights Lab in 2020. At the same time, I believe there is always room for improvement and to that end you should try looking into possible employment of innovations like Chat GPT or other AI programmes and focus on constant training of your lawyers.
- retaining qualified lawyers and maintaining their high-level performance: many firms struggle to find the right employees and then once they do, to keep them and to ensure that they are as effective as possible. R&G is doing particularly well in this area as shown by different rankings like the 2023 Vault Survey of Associates demonstrating that your firm ensures good working conditions and praising it for the approach to the comfort of your employees. It seems that your lawyers feel supported by various diversity initiatives to ensure that everyone is treated based on their performance and potential and not circumstances outwith their power (shown by the fact that you have lawyers from 15 countries, speaking more than 29 languages in your London office). Communication and collaboration which is one of the things that you value in future lawyers so much help in that too. By stressing that it is a crucial component of your lawyers' character, you make sure that they later work in a supportive environment and can perform as well as possible. One of the things you could do to improve in that area is, however, to ensure psychological support for your lawyers by providing services of a psychologist for all of them. This would benefit them personally but also increase their productivity."

Last edited by a moderator:

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
Ropes pfo, this one hurts.. genuinely thought I had written a good application, received positive feedback too 😭

been getting rejecting post apps for all vs apps that I made this cycle, thought my previous applications weren’t upto the mark but had hoped for ropes

@Jessica Booker can u provide any advice on what could I possibly do to improve or maybe a direct tc route is the way forward for me? Really confused rn

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Ropes pfo, this one hurts.. genuinely thought I had written a good application, received positive feedback too 😭

been getting rejecting post apps for all vs apps that I made this cycle, thought my previous applications weren’t upto the mark but had hoped for ropes

@Jessica Booker can u provide any advice on what could I possibly do to improve or maybe a direct tc route is the way forward for me? Really confused rn
Sorry to hear that. Did you receive the rejection email just now or same time with other people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.