TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

basht

Standard Member
Premium Member
Oct 2, 2020
@Jessica Booker hi Jessica, I'm applying to Clifford Chance and this is one of their questions
"Tell us how the skills and attributes you have developed to date will help you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer"

I was wondering how to approach this question and whether I should elaborate on how I gained a certain skill or just mentioning it was enough. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys- any ideas how to tackle this questions: We strive for excellence for our clients and people. What does success look like for you and where have you seen or experienced this. (250 words max) *- it is slightly different from what they asked last year. Are they asking to define success alone or regarding client services? Also, are they looking for an example of when you have displayed this- there are so many angles you can take this question so I am a little confused. Thanks!
I think you can take success broadly in this sense. It also doesn’t necessarily be your own success (although it could be too) it could be success you have seen elsewhere.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker hi Jessica, I'm applying to Clifford Chance and this is one of their questions
"Tell us how the skills and attributes you have developed to date will help you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer"

I was wondering how to approach this question and whether I should elaborate on how I gained a certain skill or just mentioning it was enough. Thanks!
I think there needs to be a bit of context as to how you have developed the skills. It doesn’t need to be full STAR format context (you won’t have the word count for this) but referencing where you have developed these skills is likely to be helpful - otherwise it could be seen as an unsubstantiated claim.

Reactions: basht

basht

Standard Member
Premium Member
Oct 2, 2020
I think there needs to be a bit of context as to how you have developed the skills. It doesn’t need to be full STAR format context (you won’t have the word count for this) but referencing where you have developed these skills is likely to be helpful - otherwise it could be seen as an unsubstantiated claim.
thank you!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, this might be a very stupid question but if I am a law student going into second year, would my training contract start in March 2025 or later than that? Thanks
If it’s your penultimate year, it’s most likely you could start anytime from September 2025 onwards if the firm requires you to sit and pass the SQE before starting. For firms that allow you to do the SQE while doing the TC, you could start in September 2024z

Reactions: hopefulfuturelawyer

Inquisitive

Star Member
Sep 1, 2022
Depends how much time you have and how effectively you actually focus on just one application (+ complexity of the application questions).

I've spent weeks agonising over applications (I had the time) or done them over two evenings (the only time I had) - have progressed with both approaches.

Rule of thumb I've heard is that a single application should take maybe up to 8h. Mileage may vary but I'd say anecdotally this seems reasonable, you start to have serious diminishing returns past that point.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the helpful answer!

WAL007

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 19, 2022
For HSF application, one of the question is "What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role? (Up to 300 words, inclusive of character limit)" - in terms of backing the skills gained from experiences - shall I just use two work experiences where I gained skills, qualities and attributes that I can bring to HSF or briefly use my work experiences as evidence for each quality.

Jul 23, 2022
Hi everyone.

I am a second year student now and it seems most VC's are in the spring/summer. There are some winter VC's but some of these are for third years and graduates only (I think Ashurst and HSF winter is).

But I was thinking of applying to the winter VC's that are open to applications for second years (I.e., Linklaters) because then it gives me a chance to potentially secure a VC in winter and spring/summer.
Is this a good approach or not, because I worry that applying to winter VC will mean I'm up against more third years/graduates who will have a lot more experience, and they may still get preference of a place over a second year.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Is there a reason some firms do not send SJT and other psychometric testing instantly? For A&O they did instantly, however I applied to HSF and still have not received after 12 hours, the same with taylor wessing but they said "we may send you a test".

I thought maybe they get charged for every test taken so they check manually if you have the grade requirements before sending them out? Is this the case?
thank you

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Does white & case have A-Level requirements? I can't seem to find the correct info. The website doesn't specify academic requirements. Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is there a reason some firms do not send SJT and other psychometric testing instantly? For A&O they did instantly, however I applied to HSF and still have not received after 12 hours, the same with taylor wessing but they said "we may send you a test".

I thought maybe they get charged for every test taken so they check manually if you have the grade requirements before sending them out? Is this the case?
    thank you
    You are correct. They usually check eligibility first - depending on their contract with the supplier, they could be charged per test, and therefore saving anywhere between 15-35% by not inviting everyone (that’s easily can be how many people who apply who wouldn’t meet basic eligibility criteria), means saving money which can then be spent elsewhere. It won’t necessarily be just grades - sometimes other basic criteria aren’t met too.

For some firms, they will just pay a fixed amount for the test overall and so it won’t matter whether 2,000 or 3,000 people take the test.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone.

I am a second year student now and it seems most VC's are in the spring/summer. There are some winter VC's but some of these are for third years and graduates only (I think Ashurst and HSF winter is).

But I was thinking of applying to the winter VC's that are open to applications for second years (I.e., Linklaters) because then it gives me a chance to potentially secure a VC in winter and spring/summer.
    Is this a good approach or not, because I worry that applying to winter VC will mean I'm up against more third years/graduates who will have a lot more experience, and they may still get preference of a place over a second year.
    If you are eligible, I would apply.

I wouldn’t worry about the competition - the winter scheme could easily be less popular due to timings/length of scheme etc, so I don’t think it’s worthwhile speculating and just apply to the scheme you want to.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For HSF application, one of the question is "What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role? (Up to 300 words, inclusive of character limit)" - in terms of backing the skills gained from experiences - shall I just use two work experiences where I gained skills, qualities and attributes that I can bring to HSF or briefly use my work experiences as evidence for each quality.
    Remember your work experience is likely to also be detailed elsewhere in your application, so be mindful to not repeat information of that is the case.

Your skills also don’t have to come from your work experience - it can come from other matters too. Certain attributes are likely to come across with the things you choose to do rather than the things you have to do.

However, if you feel your two work experiences are the best example of the skills you will personally bring (really focus on your strengths in this answer), then you should use them.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey guys- any ideas how to tackle this questions: We strive for excellence for our clients and people. What does success look like for you and where have you seen or experienced this. (250 words max) *- it is slightly different from what they asked last year. Are they asking to define success alone or regarding client services? Also, are they looking for an example of when you have displayed this- there are so many angles you can take this question so I am a little confused. Thanks!
    They're essentially trying to understand whether your idea of success matches the firm's idea of success. For this question, I'd choose an example where you measured your success in achieving a goal by 1) prioritising your clients/ people you're serving 2) working together with your team in achieving the goal. There's no one answer and you can take a lot of different approaches as long as you're clear about making the people you're working for and with the focus of your example.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Being specific in this case would be good- picking one or two skills/ attributes that directly relate to your past experience may work well.

UnTCSilVousPlait

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    One of the questions on A&O WVS scheme asks:

Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? (250 words)

I understand that the first two parts are standard: Why this firm and why commercial law? Is the 'key skills' part asking us to simply say why skill X is important or expecting us to justify that we have skill X and how it will help? A bit confused because 250 words for otherwise 3 distinct questions looks tricky. Would love to have any insight/idea on this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    One of the questions on A&O WVS scheme asks:

Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? (250 words)

I understand that the first two parts are standard: Why this firm and why commercial law? Is the 'key skills' part asking us to simply say why skill X is important or expecting us to justify that we have skill X and how it will help? A bit confused because 250 words for otherwise 3 distinct questions looks tricky. Would love to have any insight/idea on this.
    The key thing I would stress with this question is linking it to success at A&O in particular - I think this is a slight nuance that many people will miss.

You don't have to justify that you have those skills in this answer though as the question is not asking you to do this. However, some people cleverly (although exceptionally briefly) reference how they have developed/demonstrated those skills or qualities, especially if they can leverage other evidence in the rest of their application.

Reactions: Rob93
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.