TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAL007

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 19, 2022
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I am applying for the Allen & Overy VS. For the work experience section, it is asking for us to describe our experiences by talking about responsibilities and skills. Do I need to explicitly mention what skills I have gained from each experience.

SolSol

Standard Member
Aug 12, 2022
Hi @Jessica Booker - I am looking to apply to A&O, but I’m not sure whether to apply to their winter vacation scheme or direct TC? I have quite a bit of legal experience behind me. So, do you think it’s best to opt for the direct TC route with them? Thank you 😊

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker - I am looking to apply to A&O, but I’m not sure whether to apply to their winter vacation scheme or direct TC? I have quite a bit of legal experience behind me. So, do you think it’s best to opt for the direct TC route with them? Thank you 😊
I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer here as it will depend on your circumstances. If you think a direct TC is the better route for you, then you should go for it. The firm will recruit a decent number of trainees from direct TC applications.

Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If the skills is blatantly obvious (eg you are referencing doing a lot of work in a short period of time) then you don’t need to go on to say it developed your time management skills. However, sometimes skills developed can be more subtle of less obvious. For instance, if you were responsible for organising something, your organisational skills might be obvious, but things like creativity or communication skills might not. In those cases, ensure you highlight them.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
As a just-graduated mature student (27 years old) who is about to embark on SQE 1 prep, would it look better for me to apply directly for training contracts rather than vac schemes? I am just wondering if VS were more for younger graduates or people with less work experience (I don't have any legal experience yet but many jobs under my belt). Any help would be fantastic, thanks. @Jessica Booker
You absolutely can do a vac scheme as a 27 year old. There is no age bar to applying for or undertaking a vac scheme. However, the issues that may arise is taking time off from work to do a 2-3 week long scheme or travelling to do the vac scheme if you are based internationally. If these things are not considerations for you, you should go ahead and apply for vacation schemes if you think this is the most suitable route for you. I'd also encourage you to read my post about direct TCs so that you have some context should you need it to consider this route as well. Wishing you the best!

• 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen and Parsorandini

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I am applying for the Allen & Overy VS. For the work experience section, it is asking for us to describe our experiences by talking about responsibilities and skills. Do I need to explicitly mention what skills I have gained from each experience.
Hi @WAL007, if there is a word count of 75-100 words, I'd suggest sticking to describing your responsibilities, skills you utilised and anything you achieved in your time there (met a certain target, drafted something, undertook research for an XYZ case etc.)

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I was about to submit my A&O application this afternoon until I remembered they have an SJT. Is this something I should prepare for, and are there resources to prepare for this? Or is it simply a checkbox and is not particularly challenging?
Hey! Linking a post on how you can approach SJTs and one with some links to SJT practice resources.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I have heard anecdotally that A&O likes people with significant experience to apply direct but nothing from grad rec substantiating that.

Reactions: SolSol

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
The Sullivan & Cromwell VS eligibility reads as follows:
"We will accept applications for our 2023 summer vacation scheme from penultimate-year law students and final-year non-law students, as well as those studying for postgraduate degrees, from 1 November 2022 through 13 January 2023."

@Jessica Booker, would I be right to think that this excludes graduates from applying, as it specifies those in studies?
Confirming what Jessica said - I asked sullcrom grad rec about this last year and they do not take graduates outside of study for the vac scheme. I was told, however, that they hold some spots for direct applicants.

Reactions: samni

Highnumberofapplicants

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 18, 2021
    The Sullivan & Cromwell VS eligibility reads as follows:
    "We will accept applications for our 2023 summer vacation scheme from penultimate-year law students and final-year non-law students, as well as those studying for postgraduate degrees, from 1 November 2022 through 13 January 2023."

@Jessica Booker, would I be right to think that this excludes graduates from applying, as it specifies those in studies?
    Does this mean no applications from Law finalists?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can someone please post the application questions for A&O? Also, they're likely to be the same for the direct TC route, right? Thanks :)
    Please identify an existing market development or future trend that will likely affect A&O clients and describe how this could provide the Firm with new opportunities to support its clients. (300 words)

Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O
    and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? (250 words)

Can't guarantee they will be the same for a direct TC though (these are the winter VS questions).

• 🤝
    Reactions: keepmewherethelightis
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.