TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I saw on the Aogradsuk Instagram account that the Winter Vacation Scheme applications would open on August 22.

Thank you very much for this as their website said 17th

Reactions: YMontgomeryWilliams

User274302

Star Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    Hi guys! I am currently planning my application strategy. Which firms place a lot of emphasis on good grades? My grade profile is generally good except for my recent one, 2nd year (low 2:1 avg) and I was wondering what law firms to avoid until I can get the grades up. For example I know Slaughter cares a lot about grades.
    I wouldn't stress too much. I had an overall low 2.1 in second year and managed to secure TC offers from both an MC firm and a US firm. Still worth an application!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    This is my first application cycle - I have basic research notes about A&O from when I was looking at firms a couple of months ago, obviously their applications for the Winter Scheme are opening tmr. I saw online that they recruit on a rolling basis, is there any material benefit to applying in the first week? I have not attended any of their open days so would it be better to see if I could attend one first?
    I think it's better to focus on having a really high quality application that you send maybe a few weeks later than when the cycle opened than getting a mediocre application in right at the beginning of the cycle!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is my first application cycle - I have basic research notes about A&O from when I was looking at firms a couple of months ago, obviously their applications for the Winter Scheme are opening tmr. I saw online that they recruit on a rolling basis, is there any material benefit to applying in the first week? I have not attended any of their open days so would it be better to see if I could attend one first?
    Try to aim to get your application in in the first two-thirds of the application window and you’ll still be ahead of the vast majority of applicants. That may also give you the time to apply and attend an open day with the firm too.

There will be absolutely no material benefit to submitting your application in the first week.

Reactions: AvniD

imdeded

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2022
    Anyone know which US firms take on 3rd year law students for vac schemes? So far I know of Sidley, W&C, Milbank, Weil. Does K&E accept 3rd year law students for instance?

Reactions: Aditya_o2

YMontgomeryWilliams

Premium Member
  • Aug 25, 2021
    Does anyone have a list of the opening dates for Winter Vacation Schemes 2022-2023? Thanks!
    Sharing a couple of dates that I have marked off:

Allen & Overy Monday, 22 August 2022
    Allen & Overy Monday, 12 September 2022
    Travers Smith LLP Monday, 5 September 2022
    Travers Smith LLP Monday, 10 October 2022
    Jones Day Saturday, 1 October 2022
    Covington & Burling LLP Thursday, 8 September 2022
    Burges Salmon LLP Saturday, 1 October 2022
    Herbert Smith Freehills LLP Thursday, 1 September 2022
    Linklaters LLP Thursday, 1 September 2022
    Linklaters LLP Monday, 3 October 2022
    Mischon de Reya LLP Monday, 5 September 2022

testacc333

Standard Member
    Sep 4, 2021
    Hey folks, I had a question. I’m a 2022 non-law graduate currently applying for opportunities and quite a few firms recruiting for vacation schemes (Milibank and C&B as examples) say things along the lines of “we aim to recruit penultimate year law students/final year non law students for our vacation schemes but we’re happy to consider applications from graduates”. Is the subtext here that graduates should be applying for direct TCs or is it inconsequential? Thanks :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey folks, I had a question. I’m a 2022 non-law graduate currently applying for opportunities and quite a few firms recruiting for vacation schemes (Milibank and C&B as examples) say things along the lines of “we aim to recruit penultimate year law students/final year non law students for our vacation schemes but we’re happy to consider applications from graduates”. Is the subtext here that graduates should be applying for direct TCs or is it inconsequential? Thanks :)
    I read this that they would prefer penultimate year students/finalist, probably because it fits the time lag to the start date the best, but that they will still consider graduates. Still worthwhile applying In my opinion, otherwise they would just say that graduates should apply to direct TCs.

Reactions: Phoebe Turner and AvniD

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    If I'm a final year law student, am I eligible to apply to Davis Polk? This is what their website says:

2023 VACATION SCHEMES:​
    "We will be accepting applications for our summer 2023 vacation scheme from penultimate-year law undergraduates and law postgraduates between 1 December 2022 and 7 January 2023".​
    OPEN DAYS:​
    "If you would like to find out more about Davis Polk and training with us, please join us for our Open Day for second-year law students and law postgraduates, (from 2 p.m. on Thursday 17 November 2022) by emailing [email protected] with a copy of your CV by no later than 4 November 2022."​

I think it is just badly worded. I can’t see why they would eXclude finalists from this group.

Probably worthwhile emailing them to check though.

I emailed to check and this was the response I got:
    "Our Open day is for 2nd year law undergraduates and law postgraduates. Please do keep an eye on our website for other events that you could attend".

I asked about both the Open Day and the Vac Scheme in my email but the response only mentioned Open Day. But since the wording used for Open Day and Vac Scheme is exactly the same, I'm assuming the same applies for their vac schemes. From the response I think it means final year law undergrads, all non-law undergrads, non-law postgrads and graduates can't apply. Not sure why this is the case, but just putting this here in case anyone else was wondering.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I emailed to check and this was the response I got:
    "Our Open day is for 2nd year law undergraduates and law postgraduates. Please do keep an eye on our website for other events that you could attend".

I asked about both the Open Day and the Vac Scheme in my email but the response only mentioned Open Day. But since the wording used for Open Day and Vac Scheme is exactly the same, I'm assuming the same applies for their vac schemes. From the response I think it means final year law undergrads, all non-law undergrads, non-law postgrads and graduates can't apply. Not sure why this is the case, but just putting this here in case anyone else was wondering.
    It’s interesting how they also use second year rather than penultimate year - that makes it even more confusing if you are doing a senior status LLB, LLM (that’s only one year) or a four/five year course.

eric212

Standard Member
    Aug 24, 2022
    Hi guys, just a quick question. If I applied to a first-year scheme with a certain firm, and I had to do a psychometric/SJ test, would my results for that test be automatically carried over if I were to apply to that firm for the upcoming vac scheme cycle i.e. I won't be able to redo the test? I was also unsuccessful with the scheme, so would that hinder my vac scheme application to the firm at all? Thank you in advance! 😀

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi guys, just a quick question. If I applied to a first-year scheme with a certain firm, and I had to do a psychometric/SJ test, would my results for that test be automatically carried over if I were to apply to that firm for the upcoming vac scheme cycle i.e. I won't be able to redo the test? I was also unsuccessful with the scheme, so would that hinder my vac scheme application to the firm at all? Thank you in advance! 😀
    As far as I know, there is a fresh psychometric test for each cycle. Your previous application may be compared against the current one to see if there is an improvement in your grades, answers, work experience etc, but this is not set in stone.

Reactions: eric212

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    They are unlikely to be carried over if more than 12 months has passed. If it’s within the same 12 months, then possibly, but many firms say you can only apply once in such a period anyway.

Being unsuccessful for a previous programme does not necessarily equate to being unsuccessful again. I have seen plenty of applicants be successful for different programmes (which often have different requirements/expectations), and especially if they have gone on to develop/improve their application too.

• 🏆
    Reactions: eric212 and AvniD

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 8, 2021
    As a just-graduated mature student (27 years old) who is about to embark on SQE 1 prep, would it look better for me to apply directly for training contracts rather than vac schemes? I am just wondering if VS were more for younger graduates or people with less work experience (I don't have any legal experience yet but many jobs under my belt). Any help would be fantastic, thanks. @Jessica Booker

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    As a just-graduated mature student (27 years old) who is about to embark on SQE 1 prep, would it look better for me to apply directly for training contracts rather than vac schemes? I am just wondering if VS were more for younger graduates or people with less work experience (I don't have any legal experience yet but many jobs under my belt). Any help would be fantastic, thanks. @Jessica Booker
    I’m 28 and did two vac schemes this summer which resulted in two offer and I have 3 years paralegal experience. These firms only hire via vac scheme, so many do. Even those that hire direct often hire majority from vac scheme…

Leon Ngiam

Aug 19, 2022
    I am reading an LLB in the National University of Singapore. I am concurrently pursuing an LLM at KCL this year. I am curious as to the status of my application. For context, Singapore law is largely based off English Common Law. The questions are: (1) Am I a law or non-law student? (2) If I were a non-law student, then, despite having legal knowledge, will my application be viewed via the same lens as one who did a non-law subject? (3) Even as I am pursuing an LLM, I am applying with my LLB grades at the moment. Will I be considered as an undergraduate student? @Jessica Booker

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 20, 2022
    Hi, I just had a question: for an application question that asks why I want to be a commercial lawyer in this firm and what skills and qualities are required, I was thinking of structuring the question as: why I want to be a commercial lawyer, why this firm and what skills / qualities are required. Given a 250 word limit is this separating it out a bit too much? Should I also try to include examples of how I possess these skills / qualities? Any tips really appreciated!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: WAL007

neonviennetta

Standard Member
    Feb 3, 2022
    Hello,

So i'm now going into my final fourth year, and last year applied to a wealth of vacation schemes but failed to secure any. Now that i am in my final year is it more optimal to apply for vacation schemes again or to apply for direct training contracts? I know direct contract scheme routes would be better if you have formal experience in a corporate environment. I am participating in an Intellectual Property Internship over the summer with a high street firm, but i'm not sure if this is sufficient work experience which will allow me to compete with TC applicants. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It would be greatly appreciated!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I am writting an application for a law firm. I saw that they have a core seat in their training contract of having to do a compulsary seat in corporate. Could I discuss this in why I am interested in this firm as most law firms don't have a compulsary seat in corporate. Or would that be too vague.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.