TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I am writting an application for a law firm. I saw that they have a core seat in their training contract of having to do a compulsary seat in corporate. Could I discuss this in why I am interested in this firm as most law firms don't have a compulsary seat in corporate. Or would that be too vague.
Are you sure most don’t have compulsory seat in corporate? I’m aware of quite a few firms that make trainees do at least one corporate seat, especially the big corporate/commercial firms as that’s where they make the majority of their money!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am writting an application for a law firm. I saw that they have a core seat in their training contract of having to do a compulsary seat in corporate. Could I discuss this in why I am interested in this firm as most law firms don't have a compulsary seat in corporate. Or would that be too vague.
There are quite a few firms that will have compulsory corporate seats - so I don’t think you have to focus on it being unique to other firms, I think you can just focus on your motivation for corporate work.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey Jessica, Would it be possible to get some advice on my situation i have posted above? Thank you!
I’d recommend apply to a mixture of a vacation schemes and TCs. Any firm that recruits exclusively or predominately from vacation schemes will drive your applications towards those programmes rather than direct TCs. However, for some firms you may find you might not be eligible for their vacation scheme programmes, and therefore a direct TC will be more appropriate.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Are you sure most don’t have compulsory seat in corporate? I’m aware of quite a few firms that make trainees do at least one corporate seat, especially the big corporate/commercial firms as that’s where they make the majority of their money!
    There are quite a few firms that will have compulsory corporate seats - so I don’t think you have to focus on it being unique to other firms, I think you can just focus on your motivation for corporate work.
    Thank you very much for this both of you. It is really helpful.

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I am applying for the role of Legal & Business Affairs Intern at universal music studios. The application says cover letter optional. Would it be worth drafting a cover letter if I am already submitting my CV?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I am applying for the role of Legal & Business Affairs Intern at universal music studios. The application says cover letter optional. Would it be worth drafting a cover letter if I am already submitting my CV?
    I personally would for the sake of the application and especially if you don’t think your CV sells your background/motivations well.

Reactions: AvniD

WAL007

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 19, 2022
    Hi, I just had a question: for an application question that asks why I want to be a commercial lawyer in this firm and what skills and qualities are required, I was thinking of structuring the question as: why I want to be a commercial lawyer, why this firm and what skills / qualities are required. Given a 250 word limit is this separating it out a bit too much? Should I also try to include examples of how I possess these skills / qualities? Any tips really appreciated!
    I
    Hi, I just had a question: for an application question that asks why I want to be a commercial lawyer in this firm and what skills and qualities are required, I was thinking of structuring the question as: why I want to be a commercial lawyer, why this firm and what skills / qualities are required. Given a 250 word limit is this separating it out a bit too much? Should I also try to include examples of how I possess these skills / qualities? Any tips really appreciated!
    @Jessica Booker Can you please help with this?

Reactions: zizszhplum

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I

@Jessica Booker Can you please help with this?
    There is no need to include examples of how you have demonstrated the skill unless the question explicitly asks.

You just have to be super, super concise with your writing with these type of questions. Typically I find people use a lot of “filler phrases” in their writing, and so you just have to be super critical of each word you write and think “is this adding anything more to this sentence?”

Reactions: zizszhplum

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    As a just-graduated mature student (27 years old) who is about to embark on SQE 1 prep, would it look better for me to apply directly for training contracts rather than vac schemes? I am just wondering if VS were more for younger graduates or people with less work experience (I don't have any legal experience yet but many jobs under my belt). Any help would be fantastic, thanks. @Jessica Booker
    I’m 25, had worked in the civil service for 2 years and did a vac scheme in spring which resulted in my TC. As long as you feel comfortable enough taking the time off for a vac scheme definitely do it as firms are not put off by age/experience. A vac scheme is a great way for anyone to learn more about being a commercial solicitor and knowing if it’s the right career to pursue :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am reading an LLB in the National University of Singapore. I am concurrently pursuing an LLM at KCL this year. I am curious as to the status of my application. For context, Singapore law is largely based off English Common Law. The questions are: (1) Am I a law or non-law student? (2) If I were a non-law student, then, despite having legal knowledge, will my application be viewed via the same lens as one who did a non-law subject? (3) Even as I am pursuing an LLM, I am applying with my LLB grades at the moment. Will I be considered as an undergraduate student? @Jessica Booker
    Apologies to not replying to this earlier - I have been tagged in lots of posts recently and it’s been hard to keep up with them all.

I would contact each firm to check. I would expect most firms to consider you a non-law graduate where you would need to complete some English law modules to get you to the same level of knowledge as an English law student. (Basically what you would need to do to have the equivalent of an English qualifying law degree).
    However, some firms may not have the same approach, and so it’s always worthwhile checking with each firm.

You’d also be a final year postgraduate student.

But it is worthwhile checking with each firm as some firms may look at this differently.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    I was about to submit my A&O application this afternoon until I remembered they have an SJT. Is this something I should prepare for, and are there resources to prepare for this? Or is it simply a checkbox and is not particularly challenging?

Cafie092333333

Feb 12, 2022
    I personally would for the sake of the application and especially if you don’t think your CV sells your background/motivations well.
    Hi Jessica, I am a third year Philosophy student who is interested in the interaction between law and finance so I'm applying for internships in the legal team and global compliance ( as my second choice) at Goldman Sachs. The application requires a 300-word cover letter, however, I doubt HR would read through the entire 300-word letter. How can I catch their attention and make myself stand out from the crowd? Is there a tactic structure that would win in application screening? Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I am a third year Philosophy student who is interested in the interaction between law and finance so I'm applying for internships in the legal team and global compliance ( as my second choice) at Goldman Sachs. The application requires a 300-word cover letter, however, I doubt HR would read through the entire 300-word letter. How can I catch their attention and make myself stand out from the crowd? Is there a tactic structure that would win in application screening? Thanks
    300 words isn’t actually that long to read - I suspect they will read all of it.

What else does the application consist of outside of the cover letter?

samni

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2020
    The Sullivan & Cromwell VS eligibility reads as follows:
    "We will accept applications for our 2023 summer vacation scheme from penultimate-year law students and final-year non-law students, as well as those studying for postgraduate degrees, from 1 November 2022 through 13 January 2023."

@Jessica Booker, would I be right to think that this excludes graduates from applying, as it specifies those in studies?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The Sullivan & Cromwell VS eligibility reads as follows:
    "We will accept applications for our 2023 summer vacation scheme from penultimate-year law students and final-year non-law students, as well as those studying for postgraduate degrees, from 1 November 2022 through 13 January 2023."

@Jessica Booker, would I be right to think that this excludes graduates from applying, as it specifies those in studies?
    That is how I read it.

Reactions: samni
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.