Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There is no need to link it to the firm unless the question explicitly asks you to do so. However, you will want to choose a topic that is of interest to the firm (in that it will impact their clients or their business).

It doesn’t really matter if it has a positive or negative impact on the firm/it’s clients - it will still be of interest to the firm either way.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker or anybody who has any insight - during an AC, how should we structure our answer to ‘why you?’

I had thought highlighting three key skills, each with an example in the STAR format, would work well. In practice, I’ve found that this seems to take too long, but any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
The STAR format is only for competency questions (eg - “tell me about a time you have done x”). The STAR format x 3 is likely to make your answer too long.

Instead I would just pick three skills or qualities that are particularly important/a strength in you and just deceive generally how you feel you have developed that skill or quality.

Reactions: SCM

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
Can anyone confirm that if I accept a London TC, I have to complete the SQE in London?
because all firms give an SQE grant, am I allowed to take that money and register to do the SQE up north so I can live at home, or even not take the grant and stay up north and complete SQE? Hope this makes sense lol.

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
@Jessica Booker or anyone else with interview experience, for questions to ask at the end of an interview, say there is only time to ask 1 or 2 questions, is it better to ask a question that are more logistics focused (when is the scheme dates since they are not posted online), experience focused (what's the most rewarding part of working in X/what do you find most challenging), or commercially focused (how will X developments affect the sector or your business going forward)?

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Can anyone confirm that if I accept a London TC, I have to complete the SQE in London?
    because all firms give an SQE grant, am I allowed to take that money and register to do the SQE up north so I can live at home, or even not take the grant and stay up north and complete SQE? Hope this makes sense lol.
    I think it will depend on the firm. Some firms are clear that they require you to do the SQE in a certain location as they may have a deal with a provider (e.g. City Consortium SQE has to be done at BPP Holborn). Other firms may be more flexible. I would contact your firm to ask about this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.