TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I’ve applied to mostly private client firms. I’m struggling to come up with news stories or trends in the market for them to talk about at interview. There aren’t big deals as often the work for individuals. Does anyone have any tips or anywhere they recommend looking to find topics to talk about at interview? I would be so so grateful as feeling really stuck :)
    You could talk about how the Russo-Ukrainian war has resulted in a call for dekelptofication, which could result in law changes for many hnw individuals with money in the UK, especially with regards to property and estates, which are increasingly owned by dirty money.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’ve applied to mostly private client firms. I’m struggling to come up with news stories or trends in the market for them to talk about at interview. There aren’t big deals as often the work for individuals. Does anyone have any tips or anywhere they recommend looking to find topics to talk about at interview? I would be so so grateful as feeling really stuck :)
    I would think a bit more societal and policy trends that affect individuals rather than corporations.

Eg inheritance tax policies, restrictions on owning property, divorce or family law; ways in which to invest money (and the risks and benefits of doing so).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I know right. I am still angry at Milbank for straight out refusing to give feedback after we had to travel in 9-5PM for the AC. I was also so exhausted having to travel for it. It's just unprofessional in my opinion.
    You could always put in a subject access request if you really wanted to get details of why you were unsuccessful.

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    long time no see tcla, after getting about 10 rejections in the same week & taking a mental break, I got invited to white and case AC!!!! There is indeed light at the end of the tunnel :)))
    If anyone has any tips on W&C ACs, I’d be really grateful
    when did you guys complete the VI if you dont mind me asking?.

Reactions: Noodles

Curiosity

Feb 28, 2023
    You could talk about how the Russo-Ukrainian war has resulted in a call for dekelptofication, which could result in law changes for many hnw individuals with money in the UK, especially with regards to property and estates, which are increasingly owned by dirty money.
    out of curiosity, if you got to an assessment centre interview and kept calling the war a 'special military operation' during the 'what news story interests you' question, would it count as discrimination if they didn't hire you because of it?

• Haha
    Reactions: dd13

LawBrah

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 15, 2023
    Look at the potentiality of a Labour Government (GE is next year) and how typical private client elements like inheritance tax/succession, immigration, general tax (income, capital gains, wealth) etc. might be affected. OTOH Starmer has been courting business with speeches in Canary Wharf, WEF, and so on so impact may not be that high, especially relative to Corbyn.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.