TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

applicant2023

Standard Member
Mar 2, 2022
Hey does anyone know what the conversion rate for HSF vac scheme --> trainee is like, or just how many vacschemers HSF takes? (since they don't recruit through direct TC)
heya, just like @jnice mentioned above they take about 120 vac schemers (across 4 schemes - winter, spring and 2 summer schemes) for around 65 training contracts. However, I went to an open day with them this year and they said that their assessments for TCs are not competitive. If you meet the threshold for a TC by performing well and passing the written assessments, they will offer you one. This works out as some vac schemers will be non-law (so will be offered a later start date) or they may have availability in an earlier intake.

Reactions: Stella Sun

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    Hi everyone! Does anyone have any advice on how to answer an app question (as opposed to an interview question) on a recent commercial story you've found interesting? I am worried about not being analytical enough

@Jessica Booker or anyone else - any help would be greatly appreciated! The only firm I've ever had to do this for before rejected me straight away, and I think my answer to this particular question had been responsible for why 😂 😂

Reactions: Cryingtiger

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone! Does anyone have any advice on how to answer an app question (as opposed to an interview question) on a recent commercial story you've found interesting? I am worried about not being analytical enough

@Jessica Booker or anyone else - any help would be greatly appreciated! The only firm I've ever had to do this for before rejected me straight away, and I think my answer to this particular question had been responsible for why 😂 😂
    Application answers are typically short (250-300 words), so it’s really about boiling it down to the most relevant parts of the story and making sure you explain why it is of specific interest to you. I don’t think you have to be analytical as such (you don’t really have the word count to do this).

Take an approach of how would you describe something in a limited number of words to someone who had no knowledge of the topic.

SOAS22

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 26, 2021
    If anyone has done the WBD assessment please could you let me know if there is an opportunity to take it in two parts. For example, completing the SJT style questions first, and then the video interview? Thank you :)

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    Application answers are typically short (250-300 words), so it’s really about boiling it down to the most relevant parts of the story and making sure you explain why it is of specific interest to you. I don’t think you have to be analytical as such (you don’t really have the word count to do this).

Take an approach of how would you describe something in a limited number of words to someone who had no knowledge of the topic.
    okay thank you!!!

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Is the whole thing recorded or just the VI?
    The whole thing is recorded. They say it at the beginning that we won’t allow anyone cheating etc.. and take pictures so we are recording you fully throughout the assessment. You can leave and come back to it and your answers will be saved. The Software has some checks to see if you are screenshooting and stuff. They also want to see if there are any discrepancies in teh amount of time you spent per question apparently. There is a whole introduction at the beginning of the assessment warning of prosecution etc..

academicweapon121

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 20, 2023
    The whole thing is recorded. They say it at the beginning that we won’t allow anyone cheating etc.. and take pictures so we are recording you fully throughout the assessment. You can leave and come back to it and your answers will be saved. The Software has some checks to see if you are screenshooting and stuff. They also want to see if there are any discrepancies in teh amount of time you spent per question apparently. There is a whole introduction at the beginning of the assessment warning of prosecution etc..
    Does this include the thinking time for our VI? As its unlimited I assumed we would be able to make notes and stuff before recording but are they trying to prevent that?

D

Deleted member 24543

Hi all! Also @Jessica Booker if you've got any insight on this!

I've been kinda spooked recently by hearing that choosing the second scheme for a scheme that has two periods (June and July periods) is a major disadvantage, is it true?

I was not able to do the first scheme for this particular firm which is truly my dream firm as I had another vac scheme offer, but it clashes with the dates of the first scheme of this firm. Though this is my dream firm, I wanted to spread risks and not put all my eggs in one basket. Will I be at a disadvantage purely by being on Scheme 2 rather than Scheme 1, in that it would be harder to impress the partners/associates and that you'd have to really "be a somebody" since offers would've been given for the first scheme? I'm scared now not gonna lie

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all! Also @Jessica Booker if you've got any insight on this!

I've been kinda spooked recently by hearing that choosing the second scheme for a scheme that has two periods (June and July periods) is a major disadvantage, is it true?

I was not able to do the first scheme for this particular firm which is truly my dream firm as I had another vac scheme offer, but it clashes with the dates of the first scheme of this firm. Though this is my dream firm, I wanted to spread risks and not put all my eggs in one basket. Will I be at a disadvantage purely by being on Scheme 2 rather than Scheme 1, in that it would be harder to impress the partners/associates and that you'd have to really "be a somebody" since offers would've been given for the first scheme? I'm scared now not gonna lie
    I don't think that is true at all.

I don't see why it would be harder to impress people you met - people's expectations will be the same in that respect. And I very much expect firms to hold back on some offers knowing that some people on the second scheme will be people they want to offer. Firms don't take risks in over offering from the first scheme when there is a chance the second scheme candidates could be just as good (or even better). They can always offer people after both schemes have concluded.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.