TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
It was pretty basic imo, no info you couldn't find online. Here are some notes:
- The application website asks for a CV but it's not actually reviewed, it's not part of the process
- A Level grades are not considered but must be entered regardless
- Personal statement structure should be Why Freshfields, Why commercial law? Why you? 850 words - highlight 2-3 things in your experiences and talk about why Freshfields can help you be the best lawyer you can be & what you can bring to the table at Freshfields
- Firm tries to review applications within 3 weeks of the application deadline (non-rolling)
- You have to meet the cut-off for the Watson Glaser to proceed to the next stage, there is a Free Watson Glaser on the website

Hi, thank you so much for writing this out! Did they happen to mention anything about the work experience section? I am slightly confused, as they say to mention work experience in the cover letter, but they also give a section for work experience on the form - I am unsure if this is required (which does feel likely), or if like the CV section, they just can’t remove it? I don’t want to write out a whole work experience section if they won’t actually read it! Thanks!

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I have a Spring Vacation scheme over two weeks organised with a firm, I have since found a paralegal opportunity at the same firm, which I have applied for. If hypothetically I was to secure the paralegal role at the same firm, would they let me do the vacation scheme as part of my work? Not paying me the paralegal salary, but the vacation scheme salary in light of this?

Or, would I be required to take annual leave, even though it's within the same firm?

Sorry for how awkwardly worded this is, it made sense in my head!

@Jessica Booker

Rina

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 14, 2021
    Hi, thank you so much for writing this out! Did they happen to mention anything about the work experience section? I am slightly confused, as they say to mention work experience in the cover letter, but they also give a section for work experience on the form - I am unsure if this is required (which does feel likely), or if like the CV section, they just can’t remove it? I don’t want to write out a whole work experience section if they won’t actually read it! Thanks!
    Yes, you do need to fill out the work experience section! They said to include anything that demonstrates the skills you have, like voluntary experience and part time jobs etc. For the personal statement, it's less about repeating all of the work experience you have but rather tying that in with your motivations and how your experience makes you suited for a role at Freshfields if that makes sense

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Yes, you do need to fill out the work experience section! They said to include anything that demonstrates the skills you have, like voluntary experience and part time jobs etc. For the personal statement, it's less about repeating all of the work experience you have but rather tying that in with your motivations and how your experience makes you suited for a role at Freshfields if that makes sense
    Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have a Spring Vacation scheme over two weeks organised with a firm, I have since found a paralegal opportunity at the same firm, which I have applied for. If hypothetically I was to secure the paralegal role at the same firm, would they let me do the vacation scheme as part of my work? Not paying me the paralegal salary, but the vacation scheme salary in light of this?

Or, would I be required to take annual leave, even though it's within the same firm?

Sorry for how awkwardly worded this is, it made sense in my head!

@Jessica Booker
    There is a possibility this might not be feasible, not necessarily because of things like annual leave but just whether the firm could afford for you to take that two weeks out from your paralegal team to attend the scheme.

I would apply for the paralegal role anyway, but if/when you get to any recruitment processes you may want to ask how this would work.

• Love
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD and sxw517

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    There is a possibility this might not be feasible, not necessarily because of things like annual leave but just whether the firm could afford for you to take that two weeks out from your paralegal team to attend the scheme.

I would apply for the paralegal role anyway, but if/when you get to any recruitment processes you may want to ask how this would work.
    Thank you!

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    I’m a law student and just got offered a place today! I think it depends on how you lead the conversation and the partner tbh. Mine was very relaxed. Try and stay away from technical terms if you can lol.
    Congratulations on the offer 😁😁😁Just had my interview and it was not as bad as I thought it would be given the reputation of US firms. You were right in saying it was quite relaxed. I don’t think the partner liked me that much as I felt we didn’t manage to find a connection. In any case, it was a good experience.

How long did you have to wait after your interview to find out the outcome?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.