Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it acceptable to have a 2-page CV? I have quite a bit of experience and want to provide sufficient detail about these.

If a 1-page CV is required, how small can I go with my font size?

Should I bother including every single job and responsibility I've had or omit experiences such as bartending/waitressing? I took a few gap years so am worried that omitting stuff will mean gaps that aren't sufficiently explained.

(been posting quite a bit yesterday and today but really want to hone my next application after a slew of rejections)
Yes - 2-page CVs are very common in law in the UK - in fact I would say it is the norm.

Font size should really be 11, although they can go to 10 if you structure your CV well and ensure things are not too cramped together.

I'd personally recommend including bar work/waitressing in an application form or CV. It says a lot about who you are. If you have lots of different jobs, you could always combine them under one heading.

• Love
Reactions: dlaw2023

hopefulfuturelawyer

Premium Member
Apr 27, 2022
Oh wow, a future trainee there told me her interview was very commercial and PE-focussed. Perhaps they grill you more if you are a law student/graduate?
I’m a law student and just got offered a place today! I think it depends on how you lead the conversation and the partner tbh. Mine was very relaxed. Try and stay away from technical terms if you can.

Last edited:

Rina

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 14, 2021
    I wasn't able to go to Freshfields' application workshop yesterday, but did anybody go and could offer some pointers?
    It was pretty basic imo, no info you couldn't find online. Here are some notes:
    - The application website asks for a CV but it's not actually reviewed, it's not part of the process
    - A Level grades are not considered but must be entered regardless
    - Personal statement structure should be Why Freshfields, Why commercial law? Why you? 850 words - highlight 2-3 things in your experiences and talk about why Freshfields can help you be the best lawyer you can be & what you can bring to the table at Freshfields
    - Firm tries to review applications within 3 weeks of the application deadline (non-rolling)
    - You have to meet the cut-off for the Watson Glaser to proceed to the next stage, there is a Free Watson Glaser on the website

time2work

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 7, 2020
    It was pretty basic imo, no info you couldn't find online. Here are some notes:
    - The application website asks for a CV but it's not actually reviewed, it's not part of the process
    - A Level grades are not considered but must be entered regardless
    - Personal statement structure should be Why Freshfields, Why commercial law? Why you? 850 words - highlight 2-3 things in your experiences and talk about why Freshfields can help you be the best lawyer you can be & what you can bring to the table at Freshfields
    - Firm tries to review applications within 3 weeks of the application deadline (non-rolling)
    - You have to meet the cut-off for the Watson Glaser to proceed to the next stage, there is a Free Watson Glaser on the website
    super helpful! thanks so much for this. do you know if there is a WG for the workshops?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.