TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

selfcarequeenzzz1

I would break this question down into it's many parts before proceeding to answer. So the concerns are-
  • You have an important personal appointment in half an hour
  • The meeting with the important client is the next day at 10 am
  • Other fee-earners in the department need your help for urgent tasks
  • Supervisor is working from home
The core task at hand is managing time while supporting your team and making time for yourself as well. For me, the key in any situation where there are conflicting priorities is to reshuffle my calendar and communicate my capacity with my team. Based on this there are various way in which you can approach this scenario.

The first person I'd contact is your supervisor telling them about your personal appointment and that you are waiting on Info from a third party before you finalise the client doc. You could also ask your supervisor for advice on how you can support the other fee earners while focusing on your client doc and not cancelling/rescheduling your personal appointment.

You could also speak to the fee earners directly and clarify if any of the work they've asked for your support on can wait until the next day when the meeting with the important client is over. You could also see if you can complete any of these tasks while you wait for info from the third party.

There are so many way in which you can approach your answer but as long as you focus on clear communication, supporting your team and re-prioritising your calendar, you should have a string answer on your hands!
Thank you so much for your insight!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD
D

daisy_yawn

Has anyone ever been to a Skadden Insight Evening before? I have never been to an in-person event, so I have no idea what to expect/prepare for!
I haven't been to Skadden's but I've been to Weil's and it was a series of talks by lawyers from the firm and networking afterwards. Don't think there's much to prepare for except maybe a notepad in case you want to make some notes?

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Probably a basic question - but does anyone know how long Sullivan & Cromwell's cover letter should; who it should be addressed to; and any other formatting requirements. Can't seem to find much info on the vac scheme page :confused:

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Just wondering but could a (lack of) thank you email to a partner ever decide a choice a between candidates? I know when I was applying for IB it was standard to send one (and I often got responses/feedback), but I know it's not the norm for law firms from responses I've seen here.

Don't want it to look pushy/strange either

@Jessica Booker

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Just wondering but could a (lack of) thank you email to a partner ever decide a choice a between candidates? I know when I was applying for IB it was standard to send one (and I often got responses/feedback), but I know it's not the norm for law firms from responses I've seen here.

@Jessica Booker
That’s a good question! Wondering the same

Reactions: samni

Polaranu

Star Member
Jun 7, 2022
Reactions: Adrian_S

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

@Jessica Booker
From what I know, how a thank you email is viewed may vary from firm to firm and is at the very least considered good etiquette after an interview, however, it isn't on its own a deciding factor when choosing between two candidates as you're technically not being assessed on your ability/willingness to write a thank you email.

Reactions: samni
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.