TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netta

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2022
I've seen a few PFOs from A&O for the Winter vac scheme but has anyone received an AC invite?
Hi! I've been wondering the same thing - I applied August 20th and heard soon after that I'd passed the SJT but nothing since. I'm guessing no news is good news? But would love to know if anyone's gotten an AC invite.

rose888

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2021
Hi for hsf's choose a topic that interests you question, do you think it is okay to make it about something legal, despite in the question it saying "Your answer does not need to be related to law"? thanks in advance :)

kab

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 15, 2020
Hi for hsf's choose a topic that interests you question, do you think it is okay to make it about something legal, despite in the question it saying "Your answer does not need to be related to law"? thanks in advance :)
I spoke with grad rec and they said you can write about anything so long as you clearly explain the topic and why you find it interesting

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: AvniD and rose888

Jedward87

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
Hi - could anyone please help - I’m struggling to figure out how I should explain that my extenuating circumstances and disability combined hugely impacted my capacity before and during two sets of my university exams? I don’t have a concession for those results, as I wasn’t aware that was an option at all, and I didn’t receive help until later in my degree.

I still passed those exams but it lowered my overall % result in my degree (still have a 2:1 overall) but I feel like those results are the biggest weakness in my applications, and I don’t want law firms thinking that I did badly without understanding the context.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi - could anyone please help - I’m struggling to figure out how I should explain that my extenuating circumstances and disability combined hugely impacted my capacity before and during two sets of my university exams? I don’t have a concession for those results, as I wasn’t aware that was an option at all, and I didn’t receive help until later in my degree.

I still passed those exams but it lowered my overall % result in my degree (still have a 2:1 overall) but I feel like those results are the biggest weakness in my applications, and I don’t want law firms thinking that I did badly without understanding the context.
Feel free to PM me what you would say in an application and I can review it and explain how you can adapt it for applications.

Reactions: Jedward87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My view on this is don’t do it if you are just trying to impress the recruiter with legal knowledge, and only do it if you have a true interest in the subject.

Reactions: rose888

toribabylawyer

Star Member
  • Sep 5, 2022
    Hi, I have applied and got the test like two days later. I have completed it but haven't heard if I have hit the benchmark or not.

In the past, after passing the test I would receive a feedback report or an email stating I have passed and that my application is being reviewed. Not sure why that has not happened this time. If anyone has an idea, please do let me know.
    hi, have you heard yet? and if so, how long after taking the test did you hear?

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Describe what you think it takes to be a successful commercial lawyer and what are some of the challenges you might face as a trainee solicitor. (300 words max)

Does the above application form questions requires us to link it back to ourselves or should we focus solely on a) what makes a successful commercial lawyers? b)challenges of trainee solicitor

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Describe what you think it takes to be a successful commercial lawyer and what are some of the challenges you might face as a trainee solicitor. (300 words max)

Does the above application form questions requires us to link it back to ourselves or should we focus solely on a) what makes a successful commercial lawyers? b)challenges of trainee solicitor
    Struggling with this too if anyone has any insight! Would it be best to literally answer the question without linking it to ourselves / past experiences at all? Should we go into depth and specifics of a task a trainee would do eg. cp checklist and a challenge that could arise eg. timing/ short deadline

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

See my response here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/ask-the-tcla-team-anything.4003/post-121007

• Love
    Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Struggling with this too if anyone has any insight! Would it be best to literally answer the question without linking it to ourselves / past experiences at all? Should we go into depth and specifics of a task a trainee would do eg. cp checklist and a challenge that could arise eg. timing/ short deadline
    It doesn't need you to go into details about the tasks a trainee would do as the question is more about a commercial lawyer (broader definition than just a trainee).

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Struggling with the HL question - tell us about any open days and events you have attended in the legal sector (250)
    I haven’t been to many things because of Covid and being at work, does it have to be open days or should I put work experience in here? Also is it bad I haven’t been to anything HL have put on?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Struggling with the HL question - tell us about any open days and events you have attended in the legal sector (250)
    I haven’t been to many things because of Covid and being at work, does it have to be open days or should I put work experience in here? Also is it bad I haven’t been to anything HL have put on?
    I wouldn't put work experience in this section.

You don't need to have attended HL events specifically - it can be any careers events, seminars, webinars or talks, whether virtually or in person.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.